Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrodias

Cadet
Hello! The intro message suggested that I introduce myself, so I suppose I can do that.

I've been using computers, mainly Windows, for about 25 years and run a pretty simple, home network with a couple of routers, a couple of Raspberry Pis for IRC bouncing and media serving, one Synology NAS, and (off the network) the occasional Amazon EC2 instance. I've dabbled in Linux here and there and know my way around OS X just enough to get by. I've been a developer (mainly Java and C#) for a bit over 10 years.

I was no longer comfortable relying solely on crusty, old RAID5, so now I've added a FreeNAS box to my network. The learning curve was pretty shallow, so I'm very pleased with FreeNAS so far. It has only been about a week, though, so we'll see where this takes me.

I saw a deal on Dell's PowerEdge T30 server, so I grabbed one of those and 4x 6 TB disks from HGST. Choosing between RAID modes Z2 and 10 was difficult, but in the end, I went with 10 for the reduced drive stress and increased speed when resilvering. I intend to keep backups, anyway. I plan to upgrade the RAM from 8 GB to 16 once Crucial has the 8 GB module back in stock, but for the time being, the NAS is running well on 8 with what little I make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.