Installing FreeNAS 9.1 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyl

Explorer
I will be building and installing my first FreeNAS setup. And I have two noobish questions.

Should I start with the Beta version?

If I do install the latest stable build; Can I upgrade to 9.1 after?

D

dlavigne

Beta isn't recommended for production or for data that you care about. If this is a practice run or you have a high tolerance for upgrading as bugs are fixed and have your important stuff backed up elsewhere, it may be appropriate.

There are caveats for upgrading from 8.x to 9.x which are listed at http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS.

Wyl

Explorer
I guess that was more my question... Are Beta builds usually pretty stable? But if upgrading to 9 when a stable build is out is just uploading a new image, and updatinf my pools... I can wait :)

noee

Dabbler
If there is a feature/fix in 9 that you will be wanting/needing, then I would start with 9Beta and just set up for testing until release. If not, go with 8 and then upgrade down the road if needed.

FWIW, I'm running 8.3.1_P2 and 9Beta, but I have a simple UFS set (5 disks of various age/config) with a minimal # of users (5).

matto

FreeBSD Advocate
iXsystems
Depending if we can hammer out the bugs in the BETA, we hope to have an RC late next week, although it's a holiday here and we may find some showstopper bugs that postpone the RC.

Cheers,
-matt

Status
Not open for further replies.