install without cdrom and usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

hudriwudri5

Cadet
Hello everybody,

Is it possible to install freeNAS without a CDRom and without a USB-Stick?
Is there a possibility over netinstall or only copy the filesystem and boot with grub or lilo?

I've googled a long time, but doesen't find a howto which is understandable for me - ok I'm a newbie. But I want to install it on a Server which is reachable on Internet with a lot of space and without running it at home - my internet is very slow at home.

Thanks for your answers

headconnect

Explorer
Shouldn't it be possible to follow the guide at http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Installing_from_the_Image to copy it to whatever local disk you're actually using? I do presume you will have an absolute requirement for an internal device of some sort though. If you're planning on deploying it on some sort of cloud environment, or external system, you can do so but either run some sort of virtualisation on it if you don't want to mess with physical devices on the server (would be my my recommendation), or perhaps follow the 'roll your own' discussion for some tips on how this might be possible.

hudriwudri5

Cadet
thanks for the quick reply
I've found this tutorial but tought this is for mac - I will try it

But I have another question: I want to install freeNAS in case of my knowledge - I thout it is saver to use a distribution like this than manually install samba and so on. The server stand in Internet and therefore....
Is this a right conclusio or I am wrong?

i installed freenas via PXE, but i have a PXE already setup and working nicely... if you can't install directly to the disk, let me know and i can try and help you.

i'm having trouble understanding your second post.

hudriwudri5

Cadet
back from holliday therefore my long silence

thanks a lot for answer - it works - installed in a virtual machine
in the end this is the best way for me; so i am able to use the server also for other things :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.