install truenas on gmirror device

Chavell3_84

Cadet
Hi,

I wanted to ask wether and how it would be possible to install TRUENAS on a gmirror device?
If I install Truenas, even on a single disk, it creates a ZFS pool for that.
My problem with that is, I use USB devices as boot devices and had multiple issues, that those boot devices generated continously errors, so that the boot pool crashed.
I think USB devices aren't as good for ZFS devices...
Thats why I like to create a gmirror pool for booting TRUENAS from that.

I only found some older examples for that(and for FreeBSD only), but those mostly do not work with the current installation images.

Well, and using SATA Ports for boot only is not really what I'm aiming for.

Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, this is not supported at all, period, full stop. FreeNAS is a highly customized version of FreeBSD that expects to be installed on a ZFS boot pool and makes many assumptions along these lines.

The fix for your problem is to find better devices to use for your boot pool. Small inexpensive SSD's are the way to go.

Chavell3

Dabbler
I already have some small USB attached SSD's, no general USB sticks... but also those generate such failures...

that's why I'm looking for some other options...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Right, USB controllers are not designed for the type of punishment ZFS hands out, so many controllers and/or bridge chips simply cannot cope. When I say "small inexpensive SSD's are the way to go", I mean to attach them to the host correctly, via SATA, NVMe, or SAS.