Inherited FREENAS-CERTIFIED-4U24-V2: upgrade path / method to latest

urbansystems

Dabbler
Hi, I inherited an FREENAS-CERTIFIED-4U24-V2 with a X10SRH-CLN4F Motherboard and SAS3008 cards. Right now it is running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U2.

I am slo getting these warnings

WARNING: Dec. 13, 2021, 10:54 a.m. - Firmware version 14 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr1. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware.

WARNING: Dec. 13, 2021, 10:54 a.m. - Firmware version 13 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware.

It says I am running

dev.mpr.0.driver_version: 13.01.00.00-fbsd

I plan on archiving all the data on it. And installing the latest TrueNAS. What steps should I take, once I have the data off of it? Do I update the MPR firmware first, and then install the latest TrueNAS? Should I start fresh, or run updates from within FreeNAS.

How do I find the upgrade path? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I don't care about the config or data, just don't want to brick anything.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, I inherited an FREENAS-CERTIFIED-4U24-V2 with a X10SRH-CLN4F Motherboard and SAS3008 cards. Right now it is running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U2.

I am slo getting these warnings

WARNING: Dec. 13, 2021, 10:54 a.m. - Firmware version 14 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr1. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware.

WARNING: Dec. 13, 2021, 10:54 a.m. - Firmware version 13 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware.

It says I am running

dev.mpr.0.driver_version: 13.01.00.00-fbsd

I plan on archiving all the data on it. And installing the latest TrueNAS. What steps should I take, once I have the data off of it? Do I update the MPR firmware first, and then install the latest TrueNAS? Should I start fresh, or run updates from within FreeNAS.

How do I find the upgrade path? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I don't care about the config or data, just don't want to brick anything.
MPR is a driver -- it's built-in to FreeBSD so you don't need to worry about installing or updating it.

Your older FreeNAS software is fussing about the mismatch between the firmware on your SAS3008 HBA card and the MPR driver. If you wish, you can flash your HBA to the version FreeNAS is requesting, or... you can ignore the warnings; go ahead and archive your data; then flash the HBA with the newer firmware TrueNAS will expect once you upgrade from FreeNAS, available here:

urbansystems

Dabbler
Ok,thanks. So upgrade FreeNAS to TrueNAS from within the GUI. Then When TrueNAS complains about HBA version, flash them to the requested version?

Also, my SAS3008 cards are compatible with the SAS9300 firmware that you linked?

Lastly, what is the upgrade Path from going to 9 to latest?

Can I just set the update train to 12.0 and run through all the pending updates?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Ok,thanks. So upgrade FreeNAS to TrueNAS from within the GUI. Then When TrueNAS complains about HBA version, flash them to the requested version?

Also, my SAS3008 cards are compatible with the SAS9300 firmware that you linked?

Lastly, what is the upgrade Path from going to 9 to latest?

Can I just set the update train to 12.0 and run through all the pending updates?

Unfortunately, you can't just upgrade directly from 9.10 to 12.0, but you should be able to make move along the upgrade path using the update train, as you suggest. Or you can download the tarballs and perform each upgrade manually.

You'll find quite a bit of upgrade advice here on the forum if you search for "upgrade path".

Do you use jails or plugins? If you do, you'll have to do some work to migrate them because the environment has changed over the years.

What about your pool? Have you backed it up? Safest course is NOT to upgrade your pool 'features' until you've finished and thoroughly tested your TrueNAS upgrades. This will allow you to roll back FreeNAS/TrueNAS upgrades if that turns out to be necessary.

Be sure to save your configuration before each upgrade.

The major version sequence is:

9.10.2 to 11.0-U4
11.0-U4 to 11.1-U7
11.1-U7 to 11.2-U8
11.2-U8 to 11.3-U5
11.3-U5 to 12.0-U7

You might be able to skip some of the interim upgrades (e.g., 11.2-U8), but following the complete path would minimize risk.

You can download everything easily from this link:

Regarding your HBA firmware: I would flash it with the version 16.00.12.00 I linked above somewhere around FreeNAS 11.2-U8

Good luck!

blanchet

Guru
If you care about the config or the data
  • follow @Spearfoot instructions, so that you will only to rebuild your jails and plugins

If you do not care about the config or the data, you can skip the migration path

Note: I have exactly the same server from iXsystems since 2018. There is no risk to brick it.