Info needed on sata LED indicator add on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzza

Dabbler
Hi...
I' m finishing a new build but unfortunately there is no way to determine the activity of the sata drives off the X-10SL7-F-O SAS connectors. I have come across this sata drive add on on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-HARD-D...TOR-ADAPTER-/231100438667?hash=item35cea8d88b

and was wondering if anyone has used them or has any info about them. I'm thinking of getting 10 of them and running 10 LEDs mounted to the exterior for the case.

Thanks!

I use the same board and just used the HDD LED pin(located by the power and reset pins). Seems to work just fine for me. Now, I only have one pool constructed of one volume.

Then again, I may not be understanding your question correctly.

Muzza

Dabbler
Thank you for your reply...
I'm looking for activity of each drive for troubleshooting purposes... One LED will not help me find a failing drive or help me locate a failed drive quickly.
I should have explained better.....

Well scheduled scrubs and SMART test will help you keep an eye on the individual drives. Just saying.

However, the product you linked looks like it will do what you need. I'd just give some thought to adding something between my hard drives and motherboard. This in it self could cause you some problems.

Just food for thought.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Drive activity is taken from SATA traffic on most backplanes. More elaborate stuff requires that the entire stack from backplane to FreeNAS be carefully selected and configured.

The SAS2308 provides the sideband management signals via a couple of extra pins on the X10SL7-F.

Muzza

Dabbler
The SAS2308 provides the sideband management signals via a couple of extra pins on the X10SL7-F.
What exactly does that mean and how does one utilize these signals to provide LED activity?
Thanks..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What exactly does that mean
Enclosure management and drive LEDs are handled by a dedicated interface parallel to the actual SATA/SAS communications. It's bundled in SFF-8087 cabling, but exposed separately on the X10SL7-F.

how does one utilize these signals to provide LED activity
Good question.

Status
Not open for further replies.