Ideas for moving Plex watch history to new install?

DavidHasEdge

Explorer
Some months ago I ran into issues with updating my old Plex warden jail and it is currently stuck on 1.14.1.5488 (PMS_Updater script no longer works with warden among some other issues. Troubleshot it with some help from the forum to no avail and eventually went back to the version I just listed using an old version of the script).

Recently I have updated my FreeNAS install to 11.2 and I have my new Plex iocage jail running and functional. I've been attempting to get my watch history over into it but it seems that the database tables do not quite match between 1.14 and 1.19 unfortunately. I went through this article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201154527-move-viewstate-ratings-from-one-install-to-another/ and exported the sqlite metadata_item_settings table and then attempted the import. An error returned that the metadata_item_settings table in the new install expected 14 items per row and only 13 were present in my import data.

I read that someone had similar problems and simply dropped the table from the new database and then imported the old table. I did this by opening the new database in sqlite3, attaching the old database, and creating the table with a select statement pointing to the old database. This unfortunately caused Plex to not start on the new install.

I would like to attempt this again and get my watch history over for all my users (approximately 30 users). If anyone has any ideas with updating my existing warden jail Plex install to something that would have a compatible metadata_item_settings table I assume this might be the best course to take.

pschatz100

Guru
If you visit the Plex forums, you will find comments about moving the entire database from one installation to another. A year or so ago, I moved my Plex to a new install and copied the entire Plex data directory, "Plex Media Server", from the old install to the new install. I have a lot of meta data, so I just let the copy run overnight.

After moving my application data, the server did not start correctly. I then deleted the Preferences.xml file and restarted Plex, which brought up the setup tutorial - Plex recreated the missing Preferences.xml file. I skipped the tutorial, but I had to set my preferences again. All the media and deck remained OK

A small pain to reset the preferences, but it worked for me. Maybe you could try resetting your Preferences file and see if that helps. If not, try copying the entire data directory and then resetting the Preferences file.

By the way, this is also a good opportunity to back up your Plex data, if you do not already do so. :wink:

KingFrodo

Cadet
If you visit the Plex forums, you will find comments about moving the entire database from one installation to another. A year or so ago, I moved my Plex to a new install and copied the entire Plex data directory, "Plex Media Server", from the old install to the new install. I have a lot of meta data, so I just let the copy run overnight.

After moving my application data, the server did not start correctly. I then deleted the Preferences.xml file and restarted Plex, which brought up the setup tutorial - Plex recreated the missing Preferences.xml file. I skipped the tutorial, but I had to set my preferences again. All the media and deck remained OK

A small pain to reset the preferences, but it worked for me. Maybe you could try resetting your Preferences file and see if that helps. If not, try copying the entire data directory and then resetting the Preferences file.

By the way, this is also a good opportunity to back up your Plex data, if you do not already do so. :wink:
I am Having the same problem that you had except I cannot for the life of me get my server to start after I transfer my Plex Media Server folder. Just tried deleting the preference file like you suggested but still nothing.

pschatz100

Guru
You didn't provide any information as to your problem, so it is impossible to comment. Was the Plex installation running OK before you moved the Plex data?