IBM X Series Installer Problem

rlynch5

Cadet
I am trying to install on an IBM x3630 M4 with 96 gigs of RAM and two Xeon CPUs.

I've tried mounting the 13.0 ISO and the 12.0 ISO, but have the same issues. I've also updated the UEFI bios.
I keep booting, getting to the Installer splash screen to get decide if I want to install via serial or console, and both choices lead to a text screen that stops at trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0.unzip [rw]. I am at a complete loss. I have enough horsepower, I've updated the UEFI, and reset the bios to factory defaults.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Can you install SCALE? reason for asking is the GRUB vs FreeBSD bootloader difference.

You could equally try FreeNAS 11.1 (which also was the last version to use GRUB)... not sure that helps you in the long term though.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
@rlynch5 Are you booting from USB stick, actual CD/DVD with the image or virtual IPMI CD/DVD? Can you try different method? It may be that BIOS detected the boot device enough for kernel to start, kernel in its turn can't mount the root file system.

@sretalla The kernel has started, so it is not about loader.

rlynch5

Cadet
@rlynch5 Are you booting from USB stick, actual CD/DVD with the image or virtual IPMI CD/DVD? Can you try different method? It may be that BIOS detected the boot device enough for kernel to start, kernel in its turn can't mount the root file system.
I've tried both USB and IPMI. I tried installing Scale via IPMI and was hitting some issues with my IP network that wasn't letting me. I am planning to try Scale on a USB next week.

rlynch5

Cadet
Okay, via IPMI I was able to get Scale installed. I've got another system that I will try to get Core installed now that I've verified the issue with my IP network is resolved.