I need help to install plugin(nextcloud)

kevin1103

Cadet
Error: nextcloud had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: DNS Exception: The DNS operation timed out after 30.011588096618652 seconds pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check your network Partial plugin destroyed

victort

Guru
Error: nextcloud had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: DNS Exception: The DNS operation timed out after 30.011588096618652 seconds pkg.FreeBSD.org could not be reached via DNS, check your network Partial plugin destroyed
Your issue is probably you network settings in TrueNAS. Make sure you have your DNS Nameserver, and Default Gateway configured.

Nevertheless…
Do not use plugins. They have been deprecated.

This script takes some reading, and editing one config file, but once it runs, it does everything to set up Nextcloud.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do not use plugins. They have been deprecated.
Indeed. See:
and:

ddaenen1

Patron
I still use plugins for both Plex and Nextcloud and I don't have any issues. I actually upgraded my NC plugin through the TN GUI last week and all went well. That doesn't appear too "deprecated" to me.

danb35

Hall of Famer

ddaenen1

Patron
I am aware of the relevant posts. What i don't understand is why i should be using something else? What is the point of even having the plugins available if they shouldn't be used. This just doesn't make any sense.

It is clear to me that gradually TN Core will die a slow death and TN Scale is the future as i don't see both biospheres coexist for eternity but then just be honest about it and allow users to properly plan the transition. I have been reading up on Scale for some time now but i don't see the sense of urgency to migrate since everything is still working fine not mentioning that it took quite some time for a hobbyist like myself to get the hang of FreeBSD and now i am comfortable with it, i should switch over to Linux, an OS with which i have significantly less experience and knowing that Plex and NC are actively being used in our household.

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is the point of even having the plugins available if they shouldn't be used.
Because iX feels the need, for some reason, to keep them around, unmaintained, for another year or two before finally killing them off. Ask them why.
What i don't understand is why i should be using something else?
"iX is putting zero resources into maintenance of plugins" isn't enough of a reason?

ddaenen1

Patron
Well, sooner or later we will all be moving to SCALE. I am already thinking of ways to do this that have the least impact and interruption to my home network.

danb35

Hall of Famer
This doesn't, necessarily, have anything to do with moving to SCALE. Sure, SCALE apps are the intended replacement for plugins, but jails are quite a sound solution as well. I've put a good bit of work into a script to install Nextcloud in a jail, and lots of people use that--I believe it's a solid solution. You can manually install it in a jail. There are good ways to get Nextcloud running on CORE--but the plugin isn't one of them.

victort

Guru
This doesn't, necessarily, have anything to do with moving to SCALE. Sure, SCALE apps are the intended replacement for plugins, but jails are quite a sound solution as well. I've put a good bit of work into a script to install Nextcloud in a jail, and lots of people use that--I believe it's a solid solution. You can manually install it in a jail. There are good ways to get Nextcloud running on CORE--but the plugin isn't one of them.
And to be quite honest, jails seem to be much more flexible for certain things.

1. Installing software like smbclient that nextcloud uses. (havent found a way to do this yet on nextcloud app on SCALE)
2. Reinstalling a jail and keeping your data intact.
3. Updating nextcloud without having to rely on the app to be updated.