Hyper-V & Freenas 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDierckx

Cadet
Hi,

I just bought a home server and installed Windows server 2008 r2 on it because I want to host a tfs server and to host some asp.net websites.

Since I do want to use it as a nas as well, I wanted to install Freenas as a virtual machine in Hyper-V.

What I've already done:
1: Installed Hyper-V role
2: Added an External network with the management thingy enabled (I only have one NIC on the motherboard)
3: Added a new virtual machine, with the FreeNas 8.0.1 RC1 AMD64 iso
4: Added a the virtual network as Legacy network adapter.
5: Started and installed freenas on a 2GB hard drive.
6: after the install I succesfully received dhcp settings etc, and receive the url: http://192.168.1.113/

However when I try to access it, i get a timeout, i can't even ping 192.168.1.113... I also installed another virtual machine (windows 7), same network settings and that one worked fine...

Anyone got any ideas? I already tried to disable the host's firewall, but no luck... (Ps: i checked the url in the virtual machine, host and some other computer in the real network.. they all time out).

One other weird thing is that it always says unable to resolve 0.freenas., 1... etc...

E

egghead

The same story in my case too. I useFreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64, everything successfully installed in Hyper-V with legacy network adapter. Freenas grabbed DHCP settings, but I can't ping FreeNas from outside and inside FreeNAS. Is it possible to resolve this issue?

szmulder

Cadet
I have the same problem with "FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-i386" on Intel 82576 GB dual network card with Windows server 2008 r2 sp1 hyper v.
Any idea?

warmace

Cadet
I too am experiencing this issue. I have turned on all the compatibility setting I could and still no dice. Did anyone find a fix for this?

Edit: I found Free NAS cant obtain DHCP addresses automatically and with static addresses the Host server can't even ping FreeNAS or access its webpage.

warmace

Cadet
Hyper-V and FreeNAS Workaround

Thanks to cyberguypr on the techexams.net forum for finding a solution.

Seems FreeNAS8 and Hyper-V are not 100% compatible.

The workaround is it only works with a DHCP acquired address and after taking the NIC down and bringing it back up via the Shell.

Basic Steps:
0. Make sure you are using a "Legacy Network Adapter" or FreeNAS won't even detect a network card.
1. Set up a DHCP server
2. Set FreeNAS to acquire a IP address automatically via DHCP. Via option 1 "Configure Network Interfaces".
3. Enter the Shell via option 9
4. use the "ifconfig" command to figure out the name of your network card. (Ignore the loopback 'lo0' )
5. take your network card offline "ifconfig de0 down" (the name of your NIC may differ.)
6. Take your network card online "ifconfig de0 up".
7. Exit the Shell with "exit".

Now you should see you acquired an address. This will get you by for your test networks, but until the issue is resolved, using a physical box for FreeNAS is preferred.

Any attempts at a static address have failed for me.

I have created a ticket for this issue. http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1200

Status
Not open for further replies.