Huge tcp traffic from internet to my freenas, what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightman

Cadet
Hello
I have been using freenas for about a year without problem, yesterday i notice my internet connection was slow as hell and decide to investigate.

Capturing traffic on my mikrotik router (torch) i can see that one session coming from tpa1-01.cdn.scaleengine.net (TCP packets, ip:104.156.60.49 ) where using 100% of my bandwidth (incoming, i mean from internet to freenas)

What is this?, i have no idea what is scaleengine, i don't have any jail or any service that would require my freenas to connect to the internet and download a huge amount of data from it.
I only use it for SMB, i never upate it.

I created a forward rule in the mikrotik firewall to block traffic from internet to the freenas and that's it, but, why does it happens?, any ideas?, it really concern me that freenas could be doing something it does not supposed to be doing.

Data: Freenas 9.3-STABLE x64 (Boots from a 16GB flash drive)
16GB RAM, 2x 3TB WD RED (SATA)
intel pro 1000GT network card.
AM1M-S2H (gigabyte) motherboard with AMD 5350 APU.

rig works fantastically fine as always, just this traffic that concerns me.
I should probably had investigated more like what port was coming from but honestly, it was late and i didn't think of it at the time :(

lightman

Cadet
Hi!, yes I saw that site but not idea what is doing with my freenas!, is the first time i heard about this site, i don't do any video content, i don't host any services of any kind, is my home network, all my corporate servers are at my office, this freenas is in my house, i just check and freenas tried again to connect to the internet to another IP but same site scaleengine.net :( (obviously, it is now blocked by the firewall rule of the router, but it still, why is it trying to?)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So you have any plugins? Tell us more about what you have configured.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know the updating servers use scaleengine. But as the update files are only 300MB or so, it shouldn't take long to download that much data.

Status
Not open for further replies.