Htpc to freenas and still have features of htpc

Status
Not open for further replies.

longpole001

Cadet
hi guys,

looking for some advice on the best approach to setup of an existing HTPC and arranging the drives into freenas setup , whilst still having the other features of the HTPC gives

currently the pc has Jriver media center 17 running and win7 64 , the system is only used for media centre and some home backup of local files

The intent is to isolate the management and control of the storage , but maintain the features of win7 and the Jriver Media center interface , HDMI tv/monitor , 7.1ch audio that the MB has

Currently media files fill is about 80% of the available storage ( 24terra) , and all the HDs in use now
I have no redundancy on the system , but offsite backup of most of it is on friends htPc systems.

but would like to start using raid5 level redundancy on this system -

questions:

A. I am not sure how to setup both freenas and win7 on the one machine , assuming i used 8g USBflash for Freenas - how would this be best done ?
b. considered using 3 x VDev of 5 to 1 zpool using raidZ1 ( yes ill add one more 2T drive to the mix) - is this the way to go
c. I know i will have to wipe HD's and reload the data when using feenas :( - cant see away around this ??
4. I know ill be short by 6T of storage from my current config when going to raidz1
( 1 x 2T drive per VDev for ZIL) and more storage will be needed for the shortfall :( )

Cheers

Sheldon

---------

The current hardware is as follows

14 x 2T HD -all WD green
1 x SSD 120g -( on sata3) ( windows 7 64x only)

1 x bluray drive( USB3)
hd tv tuners x 2 ( 4 ch) on usb2

MB - ASRock a75 Extreem6
cpu A6-2.7ghz FM1
4 x 4G mem ( 16G)
8 sata ports( 6gps) - no raid setup - standard IDE

CARDs 4 x 2 port - PCI-e SATA 3 Card Adapter Serial-ATA 3.0 - ASM1061 ( 8 ports)
1 x 10/100/1000 PCI network card (2ND nic )

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not to sound rude.. but your lack of an answer is kind of a "wow.. you really are confused" type of message.

You can't run your HTPC and FreeNAS server from the same machine at the same time.

To use ZFS you'll have to format the drives so you'll have to backup all of your data somewhere.

Check out the presentation in my sig... that should answer alot of your questions. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.