HP Microserver Gen8 Raid Controller Issues

Techsnologic

Cadet
Hi all,

First post here as I'm lost in a web of different info.
I got an old HP Microserver Gen8 from work on Friday and want to set it up with TruNAS Core but I'm having some issues.
I've gotten the iso file burnt to a 32GB SANDisk USB drive and managed to get TrueNAS installed onto a 128GB SSD in Bay 1 (ada0).
Upon reboot, the device just skips past the boot drive and goes to trying to boot from NIC.
I've gone into the diagnostics and it's showing an error with the B120i raid controller:
"The controller did not respond correctly to configuration commands"

It advises to upgrade the firmware but there obviously (or at least as far as I can tell...) wouldn't be a way to do this with TrueNAS.
Only other option would be to install Windows Server 2019 or something similar.
My only concern here is that it was installing TrueNAS that would have ruined the firmware for the controller in the first place.
Can anyone advise the best method to continue? Unsure if I may have just done something wrong with the initial install but it never came up with any errors or anything.

Thanks in advance
Techs

Techsnologic

Cadet
Never mind...
It's took me a few hours but I eventually discovered that the device had a built in MicroSD card slot.
I've plugged a 32GB card into here and installed TrueNAS Core to this and booted up without issue.
All seems to be good and working now!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Make sure to disable all RAID features this box may have.

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Indeed. Configuring the disk controller in AHCI mode, hence disabling RAID is mandatory.