How would you do this?

Norlig

Explorer
What kind of drives are those? I really hope no SMR drives have snuck their way into your stable.

All of em except the 4TB ones that are going out..

Shucked Seagate Compute 8TB drives.

Not being used for any kind of storage that needs to be fast, and Im primarily the only user, so wouldn't think the speed penalty would be a consern.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
All of em except the 4TB ones that are going out..

You're resilvering to SMR? Not to be the bearer of bad news, but consider this your "rude awakening" for just how bad SMR is for ZFS.

Strongly suggest you re-assemble and resell those drives, purchasing Barracuda Pro/Ironwolf or non-SMR WD units.

Norlig

Explorer
You're resilvering to SMR? Not to be the bearer of bad news, but consider this your "rude awakening" for just how bad SMR is for ZFS.

Strongly suggest you re-assemble and resell those drives, purchasing Barracuda Pro/Ironwolf or non-SMR WD units.
That would be twice the price though, and now Black friday is over.

As long as I can get these drives synced up, what other issues than them being slow can arise?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Shucked Seagate Compute 8TB drives.

Not being used for any kind of storage that needs to be fast, and Im primarily the only user, so wouldn't think the speed penalty would be a consern.
Consider:
  1. Link to Seagates list of SMR vs. CMR drives. Looks like your 8TB drives are SMR.
  2. Link to Yoricks Overview of what drives are CMR/SMR and why its a big deal for ZFS
  3. (my personal favorite) Presentation by current WD employee Manfred Berger why DM-SMR is fundamentally not suitable for ZFS (which is what your Barracudas use)
  4. Potential impacts as noted by ServeTheHome regarding the use of DM-SMR drives in ZFS. Youtube #1, Youtube #2, and the associated article
I'd get rid of the SMR drives.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems