How to Replace a UFS Volume Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCC

Dabbler
FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p1-x86 (11059)

Hello,

I have 2 1TB hard drives in a Raid 1 Configuration plus a 3rd 1TB hard drive as a spare. All the hard drives are Seagate hard drives of the same model.

Recently the Raid 1 Configuration has become degraded.
Storage.jpg
I click on View Disk but it does not show which disk needs to be replaced.
View Disk.jpg
How do I find the bad hard drive?

Once I know which hard drive to replace the FreeNAS 8.03 guide says:

-If you are using any form of RAID, you should replace a failed drive as soon as possible to repair the degraded state of the RAID. Go to Storage -> Volumes -> View All Volumes. Click the View Disks button of the associated volume which will list all of the disks within the volume. Locate the failed disk and click its Replace button. Select an unused drive from the drop-down menu in the pop-up menu that appears, then click the Replace disk button.

-Once you click the Replace disk button, the failed disk will be placed at the bottom of the list and will now have a Detach button. Click Yes to confirm and the disk will be removed from the list of member disks.

So once I do this, is it OK for me to shutdown the computer and take out the bad hard drive and replace it with a new one? Is there any other further action that needs to be done?

If I didn't have a spare hard drive in the computer how would the Replace button work?

Thanks

PS.
In case you are wondering how I know its a UFS Volume the Alert button on the right top corner shows me that when I click it.
Alert.jpg

Hyperion

Dabbler
This is a weird thing about ZFS, it doesn’t care about what drive is what.
Look up in your MB manual and it will show what SATA is what.
Goes from 0 to whatever.

MCC

Dabbler
Hyperion,

Thanks for answering, I can tell which hard drive is which using the serial numbers, but what I don't know is which hard drive is bad, ada0 or ada1.

Nick2253

Wizard
Scroll to the right?

MCC

Dabbler
Scrolling to the right only shows S.M.A.R.T extra options and Group Membership and they are both blank.

MCC

Dabbler
It looks that it does support replacing a UFS configuration, I found from the log screen that ada1 has 31 unreadable (pending) sectors and 31 offline uncorrectable sectors, so I replaced ada1 with ada2. Once it replaced ada1 with ada2 it began rebuilding ada2 according to the log, last night it finish rebuilding ada2 and now my volume status is reading healthy.

I should note that from the freenas 8.03 guide it said:

-Once you click the Replace disk button, the failed disk will be placed at the bottom of the list and will now have a Detach button. Click Yes to confirm and the disk will be removed from the list of member disks.

This did not happen to me, ada1 was not moved to the bottom of the list or did I ever get a Detach button. All I saw was that ada2 took the place of ada1 and it only had the Edit button.

Now I would like to take out the bad hard drive from ada1, move the new rebuild hard drive from ada2 to ada1 and place a brand new hard drive that has not been formatted on ada2 as a hot spare.

Is it ok to move ada2 to ada1? Will FreeNas recognize the move?

D

dlavigne

It looks that it does support replacing a UFS configuration, I found from the log screen that ada1 has 31 unreadable (pending) sectors and 31 offline uncorrectable sectors, so I replaced ada1 with ada2. Once it replaced ada1 with ada2 it began rebuilding ada2 according to the log, last night it finish rebuilding ada2 and now my volume status is reading healthy.

Good to know!

Is it ok to move ada2 to ada1? Will FreeNas recognize the move?

It should be. Please let us know how it worked out when it is finished.

MCC

Dabbler
Ok, I removed the bad drive from ada1, move the new rebuild hard drive from ada2 to ada1 and place a brand new hard drive that has not been formatted on ada2. When freenas was back up and running I got these errors:
Under Storage
Used - Error getting used space
Available - Error getting available space

I was able to get back to a functioning array by moving the rebuilt hard drive back to ada2, putting the bad hard drive on ada1, and taking out the new hard drive.
When I got freenas running again I could confirm that it was working again and able to access the files.
I shutdown freenas and just removed the bad hard drive on ada1, again I could confirm that it was working again and able to access the files.

It turns out that the new hard drive is also bad, I could hear clicking when I used a usb to sata converter to power up the drive.

As of now I have a working Raid 1 configuration.
Now I just have to find out if I can upgrade Freenas 8.0.4 to 9.2.1.5 but that's another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.