How to get your FreeNAS Shares to appear in Windows Network Neighborhood [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Carson

Explorer
Ian Carson submitted a new resource:

Web Service Discovery Daemon - How to get your FreeNAS Shares to appear in Windows Network Neighborhood

Microsoft decided quite some time ago to relegate UNIX boxes to second class citizens when it comes to having a place in Network Neighborhood (NN). When this decision is combined with a cat's cradle of protocols whizzing across the network (NetBIOS, WINS, SMB1/2/3) it became virtually impossible to untangle a means of getting said boxes to reappear in NN.

This resource provides a means to make that happen. In full disclosure I am "standing on the shoulders of giants" with this solution. The...

Read more about this resource...

catherineva11e

Dabbler
I'm a noob so bear with me.
OS: FN11.2u6 fresh install no customizations (non production machine for testing, also tested on production machine)
Permission denied error messages.

I've created the wsdd files on W10 using notepad++ and set the EOL to UNIX then copied them over with WinSCP:
/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py
/mnt/Store/Scripts/wsdd.sh

and changed permissions for both files
# file: wsdd.*
# owner: root
# group: wheel
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow

and checked mounts for noexec; none have it

I can execute via: python wsdd.py
but running it directly results in "Permission denied."

trying the script wsdd.sh gets me
sh wsddy.sh
wsdd.sh: /usr/local/bin/wsdd.py: Permission denied

bash -x wsddy.sh
+ /usr/local/bin/wsdd.py -i em0
wsdd.sh: /usr/local/bin/wsdd.py: /usr/local/bin: bad interpreter: Permission denied

source wsddy.sh
[1] 5815
/usr/local/bin/wsdd.py: Permission denied.

I can't get any of these to work as a post-init command or script, not even the "python path/wsdd.py".

What am I missing, any ideas?

anmnz

Patron
I see the resource says you should make the first line of a script be:
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin python

That is wrong and it would produce the error messages that you described.

Try:
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python

catherineva11e

Dabbler
the resource ... is wrong and it would produce the error messages that you described.

Try:
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python

Yay that works.
TY

Ian Carson

Explorer
Apologies folks that's a typo in my resource. Correcting...

Ian Carson

Explorer
Corrected.

Stilez

Guru
This largely duplicates an existing resource I wrote a while back. Other perspectives aren't necessarily a bad thing and writing resources is always worth kudos, so that's not a problem, but the other resource has a lot of related in-depth material and background explanation/how-to that might also be quite useful, so it's probably worth cross-linking more explicitly than just the inline link.

For avoidance of doubt - thank you for adding this clear recipe that anyone can follow.

I've also added a link to this resource to the foot of mine.

Existing resource link:

Last edited:

Ian Carson

Explorer
Thanks for the entry @Stilez. I remember being truly excited to have found your original post.

I run a development network with Unix NAS's and machines thoroughly mixed up with windows clients and both a windows server and unix based production environment. After Microsoft mangled networkwork neighborhood I really missed my neat and tidy NN and your work allowed me to get that back.

It was one of those things which just HAD to be shared with everyone which prompted me to write-up my own experience in the hope it would be useful to everyone.

Full kudos to you though - as I said, I was only standing on the "shoulders of giants"

Regards
Ian

Ian Carson

Explorer
This resource has been removed and is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.