how to create additional SSH user ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antsrealm

Explorer
Hi, I currently have my personal account that I can use over ssh to access my entire volume using filezilla remotely.

I would like to create an additional user that can only access one particular folder and only have read access to it.

I have created a new user in the gui, selected the folder as there home folder and unitcked everything except read. I have had all sorts of problems and was wondering what is the correct method to get this working ?

interpeix

Contributor
Why don't you use FTP?
Screen_Shot.jpg

Whattteva

Wizard
Creating a new user should work fine as long as you set the permissions on the folder you want to access correctly.
But yeah, I agree with dlavigne. Define "all sorts of problems".

antsrealm

Explorer
all sorts of problems consists of the following:-

I created the new user and assigned a home folder, since that home folder is a sub directory of the volume that is shared over the network for some reason when I changed the permissions of the new user it also affected my account and prevented me even opening this folder from windows. I am doing all of this from the GUI.

I'm not a fan of FTP due to it's vulnerability.

Whattteva

Wizard
What you want to do then, is to create a new group and make both that user and yourself a member of that group. Then change the permissions on the shared folder so that the group has read write access and that should resolve your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.