How to compile FreeNAS 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
Any one mind uploading a Bare installation VM and a brief video of how is it done? Also can this be done via graphical interface of FreeBSD. I dont mind if the FreeBSD installation is not minimal.
p.s both VMware and virtual box VM are fine by me. I have both installed. I even have a FreeBSD VM with graphical interface installed on a VM

donairb

Dabbler
Thank you so much for that The second link I had read earlier tonight (last night?) but couldn't make sense of it. After some sleep it might be more clear. The first link I think I had read a while ago, but couldn't find it more recently. I guess I should open my eyes a little wider (and, as just mentioned, get some sleep before trying any of this). I think that that will fit the bill just fine.

If any of my experiments work, I will post back and share my results.

Thanks

Brian

joeschmuck

Old Man
Any one mind uploading a Bare installation VM and a brief video of how is it done? Also can this be done via graphical interface of FreeBSD. I dont mind if the FreeBSD installation is not minimal.
p.s both VMware and virtual box VM are fine by me. I have both installed. I even have a FreeBSD VM with graphical interface installed on a VM
I don't understand the question. You want a VM of what exactly?

vaibhavyagnik

Dabbler
I wanted a VM of the Bare Minimum installation of FreeBSD so that i could try my hand on compilation. I have FreeBSD on VM but i do not know if i have done everything correctly.
My other doubt is can the compilation process be run on a graphical interface (gnome desktop) of FreeBSD? Because I have that one running in a VM.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Follow the link http://forums.freenas.org/forumdisplay.php?15-Installation
There is a two part installation guide. Part 1 sets up the VM with the proper hard drive size and FreeBSD 8.2 installation. Part 2 takes you step by step through building FreeNAS.

EDIT: I just updated the fbuild script to the one I've been using which includes supporting the branches, such as building 8.0.3.

andrewg

Cadet
This is a quick note that I had trouble building 8.2.0-BETA2 for two reasons:
  1. The build would stop at 136/151 "add_gui". The fix/workaround was checked in after BETA2 was released: http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/...ns/0035_default_tunables.py?r1=10248&r2=10635
  2. The build next stopped at 150/151 "fix_easy_install_pth". Python isn't installed as part of either the minimal or kernel developer builds of (current, 8.2) FreeBSD. Adding it (pkg_add -r python) fixed that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
This is a problem with the developers. You shouldn't have to add python. Problems like this occur periodically because the developers may be building on a different platform or just messed up one simple part of the code. I haven't built 8.2.0 at all since it was in such flux that it was just easier to wait for a compiled build. In the past I'd placed a trouble ticket noting the problem and they would find some code that had changed unintentionally.

Thanks for posting your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.