How to access and use a port installed from FreeBSD ports website

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Hi,

I am planning to install and use GnuCash:
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=gnucash&stype=all

Plan to make a new Jail and install this ports in that jail. I know how to do this part already.

Once it is installed, how do I access and use it? Will the BSD version of GnuCash has a user interface I can access too?

I am envision there should be a way like installing Plex via ports and able to access it via a web browser on a computer.
Maybe that's not possible... because I think GunCash is not a webpage application. It is a desktop application.

I am currently running the FreeNas server "headlessly", does this mean if I use BSD version of GnuCash, I have to attach the server to a monitor at all time?

How does FreeBSD software works in general? Can't imagine all BSD softwares are command line based (Plex, Radarr, etc on BSD are certainly not command line based).

Would appreciate some beginner education on this as I am pretty confused right now.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Maybe that's not possible... because I think GunCash is not a webpage application. It is a desktop application.
That would be correct. Without a DE and xorg running you're not going to be able to get this to work. A VM with your favorite OS installed and configured would be your best bet.

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
That would be correct. Without a DE and xorg running you're not going to be able to get this to work. A VM with your favorite OS installed and configured would be your best bet.

What is DE and xorg?

Can FreeNas run VM and host other OS?

Is this a correct general steps?
1. Install VM on a new Jail.
2. Install an OS, a really low powered OS (Win 7 basic version)
3. Connect headless server to a monitor
4. Configure the Win 7 (on VM in a jail) to output display to the monitor
5. Install win 7 application and have it always running.

Will I be able to have all my other jails(plex, nextcloud, etc) and this win7- jail running at the same time?

Does this sounds like the right step? Will there be tutorial for each steps?

peter_cd.cn

Dabbler
Is it correct to say an XDE, xorg and a Freenas Jail would give you a FreeBSD system with user interface. Given you connect it to an monitor with mouse and keyboard. From here I am able to install applications via ports and run it in the FreeNas+xorg+DE UI...

If am already familiar with MS Windows system, am I better off installing vm in a Jail with Windows? Like my 5-steps instructions above?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.