how do you manage loads of pictures?

isopropyl

Contributor
I manually sort stuff as I take it. It can be a mess I definitely should decide on a better solution.
I also highly suggest Hydrus Network too though.

John Doe

Guru
that looks interesting!

and according to their FAQ, no data is sent to the internet.
so in case all tagging (or maybe even AI stuff to detect forrest, skyscarpper etc.) happens offline, that might be a perfect solution.

lmannyr

Contributor
Does iPhoto not work?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Does iPhoto not work?
iPhoto is discontinued and the new Photos app removed the "events" feature that I relied on to manage my pictures.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does iPhoto not work?
Well, it was discontinued over seven years ago, doesn't work in current versions of macOS, and doesn't work at all on any other operating system. So I'd say no, it doesn't work.

lmannyr

Contributor
Ah....iPhoto....I still call Apple photo software iPhoto even though it has been called "Photo" for some time now.

lmannyr

Contributor
So how about "Photo"? The seamless process of plugging in phones with the automatic download etc... is just too easy. Would be nice if there was a way to make Photo work on TrueNAS.

I've also played with Plex some too. Seems ok but not much of any AI in it. Plex works very well with TN obviously.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would be nice if there was a way to make Photo work on TrueNAS.
Apple has no interest in making this happen--they want you to use (and pay for) their cloud. Photos doesn't even support storing its library on a remote volume.
I've also played with Plex some too. Seems ok but not much of any AI in it
If by AI you mean image recognition, no, Plex doesn't do that--but some of the other software mentioned up-thread does. Nextcloud does well with syncing your mobile photos, but I don't know that it does any recognition either.

lmannyr

Contributor
Photoprism mentioned on another thread seems ok. Then using Photosync.