How do I know if my HBA is dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halepagneaux

Cadet
I have an IBM M1115 that I got off ebay, flashed to a LSI 9211-8i that has been working well for over a year now, but recently may have started having problems. I've been in the process of moving so my server has been off for quite some time. I started it up today with hopes of getting it up and running but things have not gone well.

I got endless scrolling errors the first time I booted it, so I hit power and started over (they were scrolling so fast and it looked like gibberish so I can't tell you what it was all about). Second time it mostly booted but hung while loading a module (unfortunately I cannot remember which one). Third time was a charm, it started and stayed up but occasionally had some output that looked like a device issue, specifically with /dev/da4, but it flashed by so fast I couldn't read it. I listed the devices
Code:
unix::/disk>show
and the disks it listed were out of their usual order. This repeated a few times so suspecting my HBA I switched the SAS port I was using and that seems to be working, disks are showing up in their usual grouping.

I'm wondering if the HBA is about to kick the bucket. Is there anything I can do to test this? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one immediately?

Specs: supermicro x10sll-f, Intel Xeon 1231V3, 32GB ECC RAM, IBM 1115/9211-8i, 4 HGST 4TB, 2x Mushkin 16GB boot drives
Freenas Corral (I know, I know, I'm working on fixing that)

Redcoat

MVP
Given that you have moved, I assume that the server did also. If so, I think I'd start by reseating memory, add on cards and cable connectors, getting out any dust bunnies that may have been shaken loose, etc. Restart system and reevaluate. I've no HBA experience to pass on, but I have read suggestions here starting with hooking drives onto MB ports to check drives, ports and cables, then moving them onto HBA once proven, allowing HBA issues to be pinpointed.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Does the HBA have direct airflow? At least some of them run very hot, and really need a fan nearby. Some people have mounted small fans directly on the HBA heatsink.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
LSI SAS2008/2308/3008 HBA controllers are meant to operate with some airflow over the heatsink, so definitely ensure that it exists. You don't need much, but you do need some.

Status
Not open for further replies.