How do I correctly set up UPS for emergency shutdowns?

Alex762

Dabbler
I just got a GBC V800 for my NAS, but how do I properly set it up so it will shutdown in case of power outages?
I followed some guides but the NAS I got seems that is not listed, I have a CD which I think are the drivers but anyone has any idea on how to make it work on TrueNAS? Thanks!

Links to a data sheet or manual might be helpful. Assuming it's this model, it appears to have a USB port.

TrueNAS uses NUT for UPS monitoring.

Unfortunately, your UPS seems to be some off brand and unsupported manufacturer. If you have the option, I would return or re-purpose the off brand UPS and purchase one that is officially supported.

If the UPS uses some proprietary communication protocol, you will likely be out of luck getting it to work directly with NUT. In that case, your only hope is to connect the UPS USB port to another computer that the proprietary software will run on, hope that it supports remote network monitoring, and hope that you can configure TrueNAS as a UPS Slave.

If the UPS uses a standard communication protocol, you might get lucky and it will work with the usbhid-ups driver built into NUT.

Good luck in your quest!

Alex762

Dabbler
Thanks for the help, but how do I know if it uses a standard communication protocol? I just need to plug the USB and hope that in case of a long outage the NAS will turn off automatically?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Click on the link @elvisimprsntr posted - there's a list of compatible UPS.