HighPoint SSD7120 NVMe RAID Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrigeanAG

Cadet
Hi All,

I am looking at readjusting my storage server to try something new – FreeNAS. I currently have 2 nodes with 2 X 8TB HDD’s and 2 X Intel P3605 drives each using Supermicro X10SDV motherboards.

I am considering combing these into a single server(Supermicro X10SDV-8C) and was considering 4 X 8TB drives in RAIDZ2 and then buying a HighPoint SSD7120 NVMe RAID Controller to combine my 4 P3605 drives. My use case is very simple home based file server and my homelab VM farm.

Anyone know whether the HighPoint SSD7120 will run in FreeNAS and advice on whether this is a good idea, terrible idea or somewhere in between.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Probably a terrible idea. You'd probably want a (hopefully cheaper) PCIe switch. Or, if you want to go all out, one of the fancy newer LSI HBAs that support SATA, SAS and NVMe and a backplane to match - but you can expect to pay an arm, a leg and a kidney for that.

Scratch that, the board almost certainly supports using the x16 slot for four disks at x4 each. Just get Supermicro's cheap adapter from PCIe x16 to 4x M.2 or 4x U.2, plus any cabling you might need.

Status
Not open for further replies.