Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahimlee54

Dabbler
Hi guys and gals,

I have been reading and lurking on this and other sites for quiet some time. I have have long been interested in streaming and storing media at my home and technology in general. I have researched QNAP and other major NAS vendors and just didn't like the limitations of their hardware. I bought a large house a couple of years ago, and last fall I installed a few runs of Cat 5e to the main areas of the house and a unifi system (great product for me). I went ahead and got a 16 port POE switch and have plans to add cameras at some point as well, that is outside the scope of freenas as it will have a dedicated system on it's own VLAN. Now that I have wired service to the most used areas and full wireless service with zero hand off issues, I thought it was time to do the stuff I really wanted: NAS Media distribution and automation. I got a raspberry pi and wen to work on openhab, and have proven that I can get it to work and learned a few commands and some new skills. I plan on building that out in the near future.

I am now at the point I can get a real NAS solution in place and running. Typical use here movies, videos, and documents. I am curious about other features here but at this point I am uneducated with what I would want/need. That will come with time. I plan to read everything I have time for in the next few weeks and start buying. I'll probably get a barebones rackmount case and put new hardware in it. I have a rack and dedicated room so noise and space isn't a concern.

I really have enjoyed reading here and hope to contribute a little so others will be able to benefit. I don't have a computer background but I can ask alot of questions and follow directions :).

Thanks
Jared

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Check out our resource section for hardware recommendations. If you live in the US, @Chris Moore can probably suggest an eBay sourced rack mount chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.