HGST HUS723020ALS640 Resilver Problem

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi folks,

Ive having a problem sourcing non SMR Drives here in the UK and the stock sucks, i bought a bunch of HGST HUS723020ALS640 Enterprise Drives from eBay but the problem is performance. Badblocks seemed to of not had any issues. They are so slow on the Resilvering process on every single one of them. Do you know if they are SMR or not because the Performance is horrible. Ive tested 3 different SAS Controllers from the H200i to the H300 on different backplanes and still the same issue. I am after drives for Block Storage as i have Hypervisors for Shared Storage.

Thanks.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Is there a specific reason that you are asking here whether or not those are SMR drives? I would assume WD have that information on their web site.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

KrisBee

Wizard

VioletDragon

Patron
Those drives are super-old (released in 2012 from what I can tell), but no evidence I see pointing at SMR here: https://mobilespecs.net/hdd/HGST/HGST_HUS723020ALS640.html or here: http://www.scsi4me.com/hitachi-ultr...-6gb-s-sas-hard-drive-warranty-till-2017.html

TBH, I think they pre-date SMR.

I don't see any reason for them to be slow, but they sure are old.

Yeah. Old but the issue is I can't get the Barracuda Pro here in the UK due to no stock. The NAS Drives are are CMR but no good for Block Storage when running 14 VMs.

VioletDragon

Patron
Is there a specific reason that you are asking here whether or not those are SMR drives? I would assume WD have that information on their web site.

No information on CMR or SMR.

hescominsoon

Patron
Hi folks,

Ive having a problem sourcing non SMR Drives here in the UK and the stock sucks, i bought a bunch of HGST HUS723020ALS640 Enterprise Drives from eBay but the problem is performance. Badblocks seemed to of not had any issues. They are so slow on the Resilvering process on every single one of them. Do you know if they are SMR or not because the Performance is horrible. Ive tested 3 different SAS Controllers from the H200i to the H300 on different backplanes and still the same issue. I am after drives for Block Storage as i have Hypervisors for Shared Storage.

Thanks.
I use this site to see if a drive is smr or not: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hde7s

VioletDragon

Patron

VioletDragon

Patron
Thought i'd mention this. When enabling Write Cache then power the drive down it does not stay enabled. This is very annoying.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Assuming you used a shell command, you could add this as a startup command. That is what I have done to disable parking of the HDD heads for my Seagate Exos drives

VioletDragon

Patron
Assuming you used a shell command, you could add this as a startup command. That is what I have done to disable parking of the HDD heads for my Seagate Exos drives

Turned out that it is enabled. But another issue I found is the drives keep seeking when no VM is running its weird.

VioletDragon

Patron