HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul4

Cadet
Hello

I am new to this site.
I am building my first nass server so I need all the help I can get.
I just have a couple of questions. I have been using freenas in VMware.
My main goal is to download movies and music and some folders and family photos and stream them to at least 3 pads and three TVs which which are 5040 are big 60. 50. 40 so I need to stream them at 180p. Is it possible to do this all at the same time without any buffering. My Internet speed download is about about 50MB upload about 10 MB.

1. I am thinking about buying MBD-X10SAT-O Supermicro ATX Motherboard Intel C226 Chipset LGA1150 SATA3 / USB3.
2. Hard drives not to sure if I'm going have 8 or 12 drives all of them will be 3 TB.
3. ram I have read you need 1 gb for every terabyte but the motherboard in question maximum 32 gig would I get away with that.
4. How much ram do I need for the operating system zfs raid 5.
5. What is the best raid controller supporting 3 TB with on board ram if I've got that right bearing in mind my budget is roundabout £150/£200.
6. Power supply is assuming I go for sata 12 drives I was thinking roundabout 500w and hard drives enclosures with fans and 3/4 PC case fans.
7. What PCU processor should I be looking for.

Any advice would be most appreciated
thanks Paul

danb35

Hall of Famer
Have you had a look in the hardware forum? There's a thread on hardware recommendations you should look at. You don't need or want a RAID controller for ZFS. And please, when you start your next thread, put a little more thought into the subject--the more descriptive it is, the better the chance that someone will take interest in it and reply.

Fraoch

Patron
Hello!

1. I am thinking about buying MBD-X10SAT-O Supermicro ATX Motherboard Intel C226 Chipset LGA1150 SATA3 / USB3.
I don't see that one used often, and with good reason - you probably want the X10SL7-F since it has the much more stable LSI SAS 2308 controller than the ASMedia 1061. You also don't need the audio features. The X10SAT is marketed as a workstation board, not a server board.

2. Hard drives not to sure if I'm going have 8 or 12 drives all of them will be 3 TB.
Only you can answer how much you need, however, the X10SL7-F has 14 ports. Read the hardware recommendations and keep in mind that some drives will be used for redundancy - you should have a minimum of RAID-Z2 but with that many disks, maybe even RAID-Z3?

3. ram I have read you need 1 gb for every terabyte but the motherboard in question maximum 32 gig would I get away with that.
Subjective - you may not need 32 GB although it wouldn't hurt. With that much storage though, you'll need more than the 8 GB minimum.

4. How much ram do I need for the operating system zfs raid 5.
See above and get an idea of ZFS RAID levels after reading cyberjock's guide.

5. What is the best raid controller supporting 3 TB with on board ram if I've got that right bearing in mind my budget is roundabout £150/£200.
You don't need a RAID controller, it gets in the way of ZFS. You need an HBA, and you get one in the X10SL7-F.

6. Power supply is assuming I go for sata 12 drives I was thinking roundabout 500w and hard drives enclosures with fans and 3/4 PC case fans.
Sounds good, make sure you get a good Seasonic one.

7. What PCU processor should I be looking for.
The streaming will determine how powerful. Are you merely streaming or transcoding? If you're merely streaming you could get away with a Pentium G3220 although a Core i3-43XX would provide a bit more power and allow for encryption. If you're simultaneously transcoding to all 6 devices you mention, you're going to need a fair amount of power - a Xeon E3-1230 v3 would be good.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd think that any PSU worthy of being placed in a redundant configuration is good enough. I imagine most OEM stuff is made by Seasonic, Delta or Flextronics. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.