Help with Windows + Mac sharing NAS data!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmofo

Explorer
I've had freeNAS up and running for about 4 years now. I am on my second NAS box now with 8x2gb hard drives in raid 6. Everything has been running great as all of the computers on my network are Mac's.

I have a few permissions setup so when I log in with my mac I see two extra shares, one for TM backups and one for CCC backups, when my wife logs in with her mac she sees different shares just for her backups. Everything is currently AFP shares.

I am trying to setup a dedicated PC to download torrents and have its own VPN tunnel to a private VPN service to avoid the impending monitoring and BS headed to most broadband connections via ISPs.

Step 1 is to setup a PC that can read and write to the NAS so that when I download something it ends up on the NAS. My previous NAS was NSF shares only and it was a pain to remount the NAS each time I logged into my mac. Having AFP shares is great.

So my question is, what is the easiest/best way to setup my NAS to get files from a PC onto the NAS where my mac's can see them?

I've tried a few different shares and setups but I havent found anything that "works"

pcmofo

Explorer
So I set up a separate NFS share to do some testing on. I am able to connect to it via my mac and PC but it isnt at all user friendly on either OS and does not solve the issue of the huge folder of media that exists on a AFP share currently.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.