Help with server build?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

artlessknave

Wizard
I don't remember anything about adaptec expanders having issues, but I have only really seen the RAID stuff about the RAID cards really which we all know aren't a good idea for zfs anyway.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, that's part of it. Adaptec expanders are not popular, and Adaptec HBAs (including RAID controllers) are known to not work well, to put it mildly. Despite conscious efforts to move things along, they just did not care enough to fix their drivers.
Meanwhile, LSI expanders are mostly trouble-free, with the most relevant issues being compatibility quirks between SAS3 and SAS2, which were fixed by firmware updates years ago.

artlessknave

Wizard
I sorta wanna buy one and test it now....but I REALLY don't need more crap I'll never use...:|

serverboy

Dabbler
I have the server setup and running now.

Just waiting on the hba card.

Would there be a problem running samsung 870 evo drives in a pool.

I have been using the nvme samsung evo plus 970 2tb in a pool for years with no issues. Not used any of the sata 870 ones though.

Someone on reddit posted using the sata samaung 870 evo don't play well in truenas.. Anyone come across this?

serverboy

Dabbler
Be aware that this is not going to be supported by VMware much longer, some of the Broadwells are already deprecated in 8.0.

Hi

I am not using for it vmware esxi.
This server is to run truenas core only.
It will be used to present the following:
Iscsi datastore to my esxi hosts
Smb share to veeam server for backups
Smb share for my plex

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I am not using for it vmware esxi.
This server is to run truenas core only.

Ok, then that's fine and you've got a great platform for CORE. You had said in your first message:

I have been using Truenas Core quite for some time virtualised in my homelab to present datastores to my vmware hosts which has been working fine for years.

and it sounded like you intended to replace the virtual instance with a virtual instance on a larger machine.

serverboy

Dabbler
Ok, then that's fine and you've got a great platform for CORE. You had said in your first message:
Thanks @jgreco

and it sounded like you intended to replace the virtual instance with a virtual instance on a larger machine.
The thought did run past my mind when building it. But I have always ran TrueNas Core virtualised on one of my ESXi hosts. I run it with all NVME drives an pass these through to the VM which then present datastores stores ESXi via iSCSI. Worked fine to host my VMs. However I have always wanted a dedicated storage server to take the load off my ESXi host as that TrueNas VM was using a lot of resource.

As per my comment above do you have any experience with Samsung EVO 870 drives being used in a pool?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As per my comment above do you have any experience with Samsung EVO 870 drives being used in a pool?
I do. They're fine, if they're not committing ritual sacrifice due to bad firmware or bad NAND. This is supposed to be fixed by now, but I have no confirmation of that.

serverboy

Dabbler
I do. They're fine, if they're not committing ritual sacrifice due to bad firmware or bad NAND. This is supposed to be fixed by now, but I have no confirmation of that.
Haha ritual sacrifice.. So if buy new ones from Amazon it should be fine. Was thinking to go with 12x 2TB EVO 870s