Help with installing Free NAS on HP Microserver Gen 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynerp

Cadet
Hi All
A newbie seeking help
I have a HP Microserver Gen 8
Have 2 x USB Sticks one with the FreeNAS ISO and the other is a 8GB USB Stick to which i want FreeNAS installed.
This USB stick is inserted on the USB Port that is mounted on the motherboard inside the Microserver. The other USB is in one of the external USB Ports.

The Free NAS setup starts ok then stops.

The last few lines are saying...

? List valid disk boot devices
Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
<empty line> Abort manual input

mountroot>

I guess you can tell this is new to me, so any advice would be really REALLY apreciated

Many Thanks

-fun-

Contributor
I've never seen this message ... but: For installation just copy the image onto one of your USB thumb drives and insert that into to USB port on the mainboard. Ignore the second stick for the moment and boot the server. This stick will remain in the server.

Does that work?

You can easily add the second stick later and make the boot device redundant then.

-fun-

Contributor
Do you have any other media installed? If so check the boot order to make sure the USB stick boots first. What's the configuration of your system anyway? Also post the complete message here. The lines above the remainder you posted will tell the exact problem.

waynerp

Cadet
OK got it sorted now. Had no luck with USB so installed on a SSD instead.

Many Thanks for your help

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The message means that the OS can't figure out where it is supposed to mount its root from. You can type "?" to see a list of the candidate devices. It may not be seeing your device or something like that.

Lucky

Cadet
I am also using a HP microserver G8 and i just opened the case and inserted a 16 GB micro-SD into the mainboard
Installation with a external USB-Stick went flawlessly
I habe 2 oft this Setups working

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.