Help with identifying which drives are bad.

Davvo

MVP
Shotout for future readers: if you are virtualizing, PLEASE post in the Virtualized TN section or at least make it clear in the first post (having a small line inside a spoiler inside a signature isn't enough!). Virtualized istances need specialized skills and knowledge that's beyond what's generally required to run TN, and have to be handled differently; a virtualized TN is not the same as a bare-metal TN.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Please do not use external image hosts. Instead, directly post your images to the forum. Current readers appreciate not needing to deal with such dodgy services, future readers will thank you because the images aren't broken.

Grinas

Contributor
@Grinas : Happy Friday!

Generally, warranties are only from an OEM authorized seller listed on the Authorized Sellers list on the OEM website. (Guess who else learned that the hard way...)

I reformatted the post again, this time with monospace font so the text lined up.

Where'd you get the fans? (link) They sound interesting!
The warranty starts when the drive is bought from the manufacturer, not when you buy it from Amazon/eBay (unless you buy from the manufacturer).

I wouldn't consider da1 as failing yet.

Just said i would let ye know that i got a response back from WD about these drives as I contacted them to ask why these drives warranty was before the purchase date.

It took them nearly 7 days to respond but here was there response.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 4.01.45 p.m..png

So the drives are under warranty from date of purchase and not date of manufacture. It may be different depending on your region though i would assume.

@Grinas : Thank you for the update. It's good to know because WD owns HGST, and that's what I run.

Grinas

Contributor
@Grinas : Thank you for the update. It's good to know because WD owns HGST, and that's what I run.

didnt know that.

do they give same warranty with HGST as WD own them. I might get a few of them myself if they have the same warranty and quality as i assume they are much cheaper.

From my experience which is very limited, HGST is the high-end datacenter line with awesome warranty, low power consumption, runs cooler, quieter, and faster. I wouldn't trust my observations too much though as I'm new to datacenter-level systems.

Grinas

Contributor
@WI_Hedgehog

I was not able to import the pool back into to truenas so going to create another pool but first want to test all drives so i know whats good and whats not and to make sure none of the new drives are duds.

i remember before there was burn in scripts but i cant seem to find them and from your sig on this page it just recommends to run smart tests. Is that still accurate or is there better ways to test these drives?

Davvo

MVP
@Grinas I believe you are you looking for jgreco's solnet array.