SOLVED Help! The volume tank1 state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.

thatflashcat

Explorer
I ran past my freenas box 15 minutes ago and saw a number of messages on the console. Great. I logged into the web interface and found this error:

The volume tank1 state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.

Checking the pool status shows this:
1574119372410.png

No surprise, one of the drives is showing read errors. Is reseating cables likely to fix this?

Youll want to look at the smart data for that drive. smartctl -a /dev/da0 where da0 is the actual drive it could be da200. Then post the output, but I am afraid that I suspect the disk is dead or dying.

thatflashcat

Explorer
Youll want to look at the smart data for that drive. smartctl -a /dev/da0 where da0 is the actual drive it could be da200. Then post the output, but I am afraid that I suspect the disk is dead or dying.

I would have done that but there was no drive id for me to test (it was completely gone). I pulled it and installed it in my old dell workstation and it took ages to give me the boot menu, but when it finally did I booted to the bios and found the drive ID was "unknown". I checked another known good drive with the same cables and it worked without issue, so I know the issue was the drive.

My conclusion is that the drive is dead and I have already installed a replacement and the failed drive has been returned (still under warranty thankfully).