HELP: Supermicro X11SSM-F RAM

soopaman

Dabbler
One last question, I would like to be able to control the fan via a script. Reading around I am not seeing much reliable options for a Supermicro board and PWM fans on Truenas Scale. Any wisdom imparted would be appreciated.

artlessknave

Wizard
you can set the fans in the IPMI. I have never needed otherwise but I have rackmount gear.
the fans in a node 804 would probably run quieter at max speed than mine do at min speed...

what, exactly, do you want to control the fans for?

artlessknave

Wizard
hardware keys which I have offsite backup hardware keys too.
I don't know what you mean by this. there is no such thing as a hardware key encryption in ZFS.
it's either passcode or an encryption key.

Davvo

MVP
Hi dear Truenas family,

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. After much sweating and perseverance, I have finally managed to get things up. I had a right nightmare getting my paws on the correct memory for my system.

It has now dawned on me that this is only half of the story. I have done a lot of reading and stuck at trying to decide if Raidz-2 or Raisz-3 is the best way to go. I have a pair of Samsung 980Pro NVME I would like to use for VM and some of the more demanding applications I will install in a stripped configuration which will all be backed up to the HDD hard drives.

I would like to have performance and data integrity. Would it make sense to apply encryption when creating the storage pools? I am wondering if there is much of a performance overhead when encryption is applied please?

I would welcome your valued inputs before I do a newbie error which will hurt later. Thanks and my sincere appreciation as always.
View attachment 63202
View attachment 63203
In order to encrypt datasets you have to encrypt the whole pool (but you can leave It unlocked).

The parity level of RAIDZ you want depends on how safe you want to be.
A vdev shouldn't be larger than 12 disks.

artlessknave

Wizard
In order to encrypt datasets you have to encrypt the whole pool (but you can leave It unlocked).
I don't think this is true; I'm pretty sure I have a pool that is not encrypted with an encrypted dataset. it shows that there is encryption IN the pool, but I can't see any sign that the pool itself is encrypted.

Last edited:

artlessknave

Wizard
I just made an unencryped pool and an encrypted dataset on a test server. definitely possible.

1675303453550.png

soopaman

Dabbler
you can set the fans in the IPMI. I have never needed otherwise but I have rackmount gear.
the fans in a node 804 would probably run quieter at max speed than mine do at min speed...

what, exactly, do you want to control the fans for?

My better half is super sensitive to sound so to keep the peace I like to tame the noises to make the room I host the server in usable. :grin:

soopaman

Dabbler
I don't know what you mean by this. there is no such thing as a hardware key encryption in ZFS.
it's either passcode or an encryption key.
One can keep the passcode hard coded on a Yubikey for example.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I would use mirror, not stripe. a stripe can detect datamage data but CANNOT repair anything. if anything, ever, goes wrong, you would be having to restore from backups rather than letting zfs just fix it.
I strongly second this.

Also, Samsung just released new firmware for this SSD, alledgedly fixing a critical bug.

soopaman

Dabbler
I strongly second this.

Also, Samsung just released new firmware for this SSD, alledgedly fixing a critical bug.
Thanks for chiming in @ChrisRJ, I appreciate it. I was not aware of the new firmware. I will definitely update the SSD's as I have not touched them for a couple of years.

Davvo

MVP