Help! Network credential error

ISIGNUP

Cadet
Hi I really need some help on this. I recently started using TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 to replace our old file server. I have a small network with mainly 3 computers (windows 10) all connected to the same switch by ethernet cable. 2 of the 3 computer had no problem access TrueNAS and mapping the network drive. But 1 computer keeps giving me the "specified network password is not correct" error. I'm able to see the TrueNAS drive on the network, but I'm unable to access it using any of the credentials from the accounts. I searched through different posts, but still haven't found a solution. If anyone know this specific problem, please point me to the right direction. Thank you so much!

Redcoat

MVP
is there a stored old/incorrect credential in the user credentials file on the particular client?

Shouldn't really matter if you are choosing/entering username and PW at the "Use another Account" prompt, but I'd get rid of anything not current.

ISIGNUP

Cadet
I went to "Manage Windows Credentials" and removed all old credentials, but the problem is not solved. I also uninstall and reset network adapter driver, deleted old network profile from registry, none of it helped. I have no clue on what is causing the issue...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I went to "Manage Windows Credentials" and removed all old credentials, but the problem is not solved. I also uninstall and reset network adapter driver, deleted old network profile from registry, none of it helped. I have no clue on what is causing the issue...
If you run the command `midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq` you should see a list of logon attempts as well as usernames passed. May give some indication of what's going wrong. Pay careful attention to authentication method being used by Windows. I have seen quite a few cases where Windows attempts NTLMv1 due to client misconfiguration.

ISIGNUP

Cadet
Thank you for the command line. I took a screenshot of a successful log in from one computer and one from the computer with issue. I can see it says "NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD", but i don't understand it enough to decipher other information to know what's wrong. Both computers are trying to log in using the same account and password. If you see something wrong of the authentication log, please point me to the right direction. Thank you!

1631222732466.png

1631222851904.png

Attachments

• 1631222650872.png
    1631222650872.png
    26 KB · Views: 131

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Top one is passing empty creds, getting what looks like a SID ending in 501 (not clear in pic), which means GUEST account, which is also consistent with `nobody`. Second one is trying to authenticate with an account `mma` and failing with WRONG_PASSWORD (which usually means the account exists on our server, but has a different password). What is output of `testparm -s`?

ISIGNUP

Cadet
That's interesting, because the top one is the working computer logged in under "mma" account, and the second one is the problematic computer failing with the same account and password. Don't know why the first one shows "nobody" account?
This is the output of 'testparm -s'
1631285393183.png

1631285434532.png

ISIGNUP

Cadet
First of all, thank you for your patience and help so far. Really appreciate the responses!
I'm not quite sure what to look for, these are the output from the SESSIONS command - there are only 4 sessions.
First one is my Computer (say computer A), logged in under "mma", no problem
Second one is Computer B, logged in under "ayong", no problem in connecting, but had "read only" issues, which is another problem altogether. I bypassed the issue by logging computer B under "mma" - as shown in the last session. no problem
Computer C's failed log in attempts are not displayed
1631287570961.png

1631287599808.png