Help....Kernal not found error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Hi all I am in need of some help...

I upgraded the memory in my machine to 16GB but freenas was only seeing 4GB so I turned on autotune and rebooted the computer now I get this error

can't work out which disk we are booting from
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

can't load 'kernel'

so the question is how can i fix without losing my stored data?

or

Can I build a new USB and not lose my data

warri

Guru
Yes, just build a new USB stick. You can then auto-import your old pool, but if you do not have a backup of your old configuration, you have to reconfigure your shares etc. Make sure you use the x64 version, the 32 bit one cannot use more than 4 GB of RAM. And autotune is generally only necessary on very powerful machines.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Hey Warri thanks alot for the info, my NAS back up and running. and now that I upgraded to 16GB it's moving even faster.

Irvin Daniel

Dabbler
Hey there had another issue.. have you ever had the following just wanted to see if I am the only one experiencing this

I am trying to transfer alot of files over to my NAS at first it starts out great going at about 90mb/sec then it slows down then it stops for awhile then starts back up again. I also notice that it looks like i am losing connection to the freenas box. because in the window it shows the blues bar that fills up that indicates it is connecting to a drive but I am not coping from the nas I am coping to it so why would it do that? I have two connection to my NAS one I am connecting to it by a cisco switch Gigabit and I also set up a direct connection with crossover cables. when i do the copy on either connection i get the same issue.

Not sure I am explaining it correctly........ but any ideas??????

Thanks in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.