Hello from North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCahill

Cadet
Hello from North Carolina.

Happy 2018 freenas members. I used FreeNAS a great many years ago and for the past 10 years or so I have been using various Drobo DAS and NAS boxes. My main needs now are to have a dedicated and stable Plex Media Server, this has brought be back to FreeNAS and looking to build. In general I gave up wanting to babysit custom builds, however I believe this is worth it.

John

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums and back to FreeNAS!

JohnCahill

Cadet
Thanks. Feeling pretty excited about it, looking to probably use it for TimeMachine as well. Cheers.

Last edited:

gpsguy

This message section is for introductions - we shouldn't discuss your proposed build here. That said, take a look at our hardware recommendations - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

While your proposed system is fine for Windows (my Win 7 desktop uses that mobo with an 8320 and ECC RAM), we don't recommend a desktop motherboard for FreeNAS. A few users have done so, but they are using ECC RAM and have had to add an Intel NIC. The onboard Realtek is crap.

If you want to discuss this further, start a new thread in a different section and place a link to the new discussion, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.