hdd 3.5" seagate vs wd brand any diff?

phier

Patron
Hello,
not sure if its possible to answer that one... but

is there some quality difference between Seagate exos x18 vs WD HC550, both are 18Tb
or it really doesnt matter?

Thanks

joeschmuck

Old Man
When I look for a drive, I consider a few factors:
1) Cost per TB
2) RPM (I prefer slower spinning drives for lower heat)
3) Warranty (This is the big one)

I also only plan on my drives lasting the length of the warranty period, even though most drives tend to last 5+ years.

I know that does not answer your question.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well the brand can matter if you find out there are dozens of complaints about the drives, but between Seagate and WD, they both have gotten better over time. I recall when one year WD was the best, the next year it would be Seagate. It flip flops between the major manufacturers. I would personally not buy a no name brand, but you are choosing between two main companies so from my perspective it's all about the three factors I listed. You can add personal preference as well as a fourth factor, that does drive decisions.

You can also check out backblaze as they maintain a list of drives and the reliability. But again, warranty is a huge factor for me. It is worth a few more dollars for a better warranty if all else is the same.

phier

Patron
@joeschmuck
seems seagate is not a big deal ;/ comparing to the wdc
1701041700924.png

gdreade

Dabbler
You may also be better off getting drives from multiple manufacturers so as to reduce the likelihood of concurrent failures. So, "not either, both".

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ouch, glad you checked. Guess Seagate is not doing as well this year, but 2.28% is still a low number. You should see if you can break those down by model as well.