have issues while deleting snaphops

kolesya

Cadet
howdy. I'm using freenas on ssd disks & nfs share for proxmox vms disks.
have periodic snaphot task.
afaik, before creating new snapshot or after doing it, this task removing old snapshot that was made e.g. yesterday.
i've noticed that deleting old snapshot affects performance of vms that most sensitive for iops.
i having iowait on those vms.
i tried to change next sysctl values but it don't changed anything:
vfs.zfs.vdev.trim_max_active=32
vfs.zfs.vdev.max_active=64
how can i fix it?
thanks

Heracles

Wizard
afaik, before creating new snapshot or after doing it, this task removing old snapshot that was made e.g. yesterday.

It depends how you defined your periodic snapshot tasks. I have some that are taken every 15 minutes and deleted after 3 days, up to being taken once every 4 weeks and kept for 4 years.

What is the complete definition of your task ?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You haven't provided enough information for us to advise yet. (Note, those tunables have nothing to do with snapshots, and should be reverted to the defaults.) First, we need info on your hardware and pool construction, and your networking to the Proxmox hosts. You also said you're sharing to Proxmox via NFS, which isn't the usual pattern for VMs; the usual method is iSCSI.

kolesya

Cadet
it doesn't matter. I have more than 5 storage working on freenas & configured same way but having issues only on one using ssd