Hardware Recommendations Guide

Hardware Recommendations Guide Discussion Thread Rev 2a) 2021-01-24

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just a friendly reminder that this thread is not the right place to post build questions.

I will move any such posts that I see, but I do not at all guarantee that I will have the inspiration necessary to give the threads interesting titles.
The correct place to post builds is the Will it FreeNAS? section.

SuF1X

Dabbler
Hey All, My old NAS that was build using this guide is showing its age and I am planning to do an upgrade - is there an updated guide for 2019-2020? Maybe even throw in Zen recommendations?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No Ryzen recommendations until there is a suitable motherboard. Of course, suitable systems do exist for larger setups not covered by the guide. Support is still not quite there in 11.x as I understand it, but 12.x should be solid.

SuF1X

Dabbler
No Ryzen recommendations until there is a suitable motherboard. Of course, suitable systems do exist for larger setups not covered by the guide. Support is still not quite there in 11.x as I understand it, but 12.x should be solid.
amazing! thanks! then need to get some advice on what I can get now for reasonable price as all research I did before is now obsolete :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
On the Intel side, there are few changes. Move up to the latest Supermicro boards and Intel CPUs and the advice barely changes apart from that.

SuF1X

Dabbler
On the Intel side, there are few changes. Move up to the latest Supermicro boards and Intel CPUs and the advice barely changes apart from that.
is there somewhere this documented or discussed on what I should go for?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

SuF1X

Dabbler
thanks! will need to read up. I have currently have running Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 on Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard. and want to upgrade both mobo to support more expansion cards and also have up to 24 drives. anything particular stands out?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More expansion is going to mean a larger system. Xeon E3/Xeon E is rather limited.

But do you really need more PCI-e? There should be 8 CPU lanes available along with a bunch of PCH lanes. For more disks, just add an SAS expander.

SuF1X

Dabbler
More expansion is going to mean a larger system. Xeon E3/Xeon E is rather limited.

But do you really need more PCI-e? There should be 8 CPU lanes available along with a bunch of PCH lanes. For more disks, just add an SAS expander.
I intend to leave this NAS in place and build new as a separate device as this is currently a live production sever and I need it to carry on running while new is built thats why I am researching best choices. happy to go a little higher tier

Miroman

Cadet
I want to install Freenas on this server HP ML 110 G7. I want to buy 2 WD Red 2 TB. What RAID controller to buy?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And Miroman goes into a thread that is literally titled with the words "and why cant I use a raid controller" and ... wait for it ... asks what RAID controller to buy.

I give up.

John Doe

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Could someone check the links here:
some of them appear to be broken for some reason. I

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Links to the forum?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They might have been broken in one of the forum address changes... I'll get to that this weekend, then.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ericloewe updated Hardware Recommendations Guide with a new update entry:

Revision 2 is out!

After a long wait for Half-Life 3 Revision 2 of the Hardware Recommendations Guide, it is finally here.

Full disclosure: It's not as polished as I'd like, but it just needs to finally be out there so that I can gather feedback to better work on it.

Old recommendations, such as Haswell stuff, have been replaced with Coffee Lake for now. The whole motherboard and CPU segment could use more research, but I'll defer that for a while and update the quick guide first.

Read the rest of this update entry...