Hardware RAID 6 or JBOD for FreeNAS? SMC2108

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigesh

Cadet
Hey guys,

I have LSI MegaRAID SMC2108 RAID controller on supermicro (128GB| 27 * 4TB) I want to use for FreeNAS ZFS!

I guess it doesn't support flashing IT mode, so which options below is worth taking?

Option A:
(Hardware Raid 6 ) 3 virtual disk -> ZFS (RaidZ0 on top of 3 virtual disks)
or
Option B:
Configuring JBOD and to pass disk to FreeNAS and then build ZFS?

https://plone.lucidsolutions.co.nz/...figuring-jbod-with-a-lsi-2208-controller/view

Please kindly help with Option A or Option B. I'm kinda stuck with this controller its for a virtualization cluster.

Regards,

Nigesh

Attachments

• RAID controller.JPG
    RAID controller.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 939

Nigesh

Cadet
Option C: get a different controller.

Well then, Option B, but don't expect a good outcome.

Thanks Robert! I'll try option B tomorrow! I'm not worried about performance I'm worried about the data consistency! Will it be stable? Hot swap?

Arwen

MVP
@Robert Trevellyan
Wasn't there an option to use a different device driver for the LSI MegaRAID controllers?
One that allowed direct access to the disks?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks Robert! I'll try option B tomorrow! I'm not worried about performance I'm worried about the data consistency! Will it be stable? Hot swap?
Neither will give you good data consistency. You will lose your pool most likely. Get a better disk controller.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nigesh

Cadet
@Robert Trevellyan
Wasn't there an option to use a different device driver for the LSI MegaRAID controllers?
One that allowed direct access to the disks?

Thanks for the reply arwen! I didn't give that option because it's for a educational institution we had to use what we have rather than buying stuff online.

Nigesh

Cadet
Neither will give you good data consistency. You will lose your pool most likely. Get a better disk controller.

Thanks guys! Let me try to convince my prof to buy a raid controller online! Can you suggest me a raid controller from B&H, staples, or amazon, cwg? Those are the sites we are contstrained by organization!

Arwen

MVP
Thanks for the reply arwen! I didn't give that option because it's for a educational institution we had to use what we have rather than buying stuff online.
What I meant was, a built-in software driver for the LSI MegaRAID hardware that your system board includes.
The default driver only gives the hardware RAID LUNs from the MegaRAID. The alternate device driver, (software),
gives the underlying disks.

That said, I don't know as much about the LSI MegaRAID and the alternate driver. But, if it is available and works,
just a bit of time to configure it, no money needed.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks guys! Let me try to convince my prof to buy a raid controller online! Can you suggest me a raid controller from B&H, staples, or amazon, cwg? Those are the sites we are contstrained by organization!
Check it the hardware guide. Get that h310 or something, it's super cheap used.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Only for SAS2308 controllers and for SAS3 controllers. Older SAS2 (2008, 2108, etc) are stuck with mfi.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.