Hardware auto fan controller for hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
Most motherbaord fan header adjust fan speed based on CPU temperature.

Are there any hardware solution for adjusting fan speed based on hard drive temperature?

I've seen something like Nzxt sentry-3 control fan speed based on a temperature probe that maybe you can stick on a hard drive? What isn't clear is how the auto mode works and at what temperature if it can even sense a narrow range. Ideally, I want fans to go full throttle if a HDD is above 40C, but go silent below 35C.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I searched how to do this with software but didn't find anything promising.

So I designed (well, currently designing, about 95 % finished) my own hardware controller to have exactly what I wanted (and to avoid paying 30-40 € for a more or less chinese thing...).

The Sentry 3 manual doesn't tell anything about the relation temp/fan speed. Try to find a review of it where the reviewer has done some measures of fan speed vs temperature ;)

ShimadaRiku

Contributor
I searched how to do this with software but didn't find anything promising.

So I designed (well, currently designing, about 95 % finished) my own hardware controller to have exactly what I wanted (and to avoid paying 30-40 € for a more or less chinese thing...).

The Sentry 3 manual doesn't tell anything about the relation temp/fan speed. Try to find a review of it where the reviewer has done some measures of fan speed vs temperature ;)

I use speedfan for automatic software control, but sadly it is only for Windows only. Yea the Sentry 3 or the older 2 manual says nothing regaruding temperature curves. Haven't found a reviewer commenting specifically about how auto mode works, just that it exist. Since you designed one make me one too =]

Found this. https://www.frozencpu.com/products/5298/tmp-30/NoiseMagic_ThemoControl_NMT-3_w_3-pin_Connector.html not sure how it works.

Bidule0hm

Well, I guess you can always try to ask the manufacturer directly.

I almost finished the circuit diagram, I still need to buy some components to finish it (it's a PI controller and the PI part is tricky so I'll test it before finishing the circuit diagram and making the whole controller) so I can't make you one :)

Bidule0hm

Excepted I don't use a MCU and I don't want to use one, my design is fully discrete. A MCU can crash, the firmware can have a bug, and you need to program it. I wanted something that can't crash and I don't need to program it.

But yeah, you can do this with an arduino or pretty much any other MCU if you want ;)

ChriZ

Patron
Does ipmitool need a reboot for the actual speeds to be applied in newer x10 supermicros?
Asking because if not then a simple cron script could do the job...

Status
Not open for further replies.