Harddrive will not show

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthuraw22

Cadet
I am trying to set up my freenas server but after I got the OS to boot from a USB and set up the bios to ahci. The disk will not show when I go to any of the disk setup menus in freenas off my laptop. Im not sure exactly what I am missing. The drive shows in the bios as hdd

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I am trying to set up my freenas server but after I got the OS to boot from a USB and set up the bios to ahci. The disk will not show when I go to any of the disk setup menus in freenas off my laptop. Im not sure exactly what I am missing. The drive shows in the bios as hdd
We can not tell you what you're missing because we have no idea what you do or don't have for hardware, which version of
freenas you are trying to run, etc.

Please see the forum rules section of the home page of the forums, if you follow them,
help and advice can be given. My advice at this point, try the forum search feature.

arthuraw22

Cadet
I have the latest download USB file from the website. And xfx mother board(about 4 years old) tri core processor, 2 tb hard drive, 4g of ddr 2 ram, and the OS is on a 4g usb

arthuraw22

Cadet
Loads up great hard drive shows in bios but not when I log in to freenas. Doesn't even read it when going through shell

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Have you followed the FreeNAS manual? There are settings you may have missed...
Have you checked minimum hardware requirements for FreeNAS, does your hardware meet
those requirements?
Freenas is NOT going to work for you until you invest some "study time".
Read the stickies here in the forums.
There's a ton of very useful information in them.
I knew nothing about this stuff when I started, it took alot of reading and searching.
You will become frustrated easily if you refuse to at least read the manual.
The members here will be perfectly willing to help...
BUT, they will not hold your hand...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Loads up great hard drive shows in bios but not when I log in to freenas. Doesn't even read it when going through shell
What do you mean, "doesn't even read it when going through shell"? What commands have you tried at the shell? If you haven't, try running "camcontrol devlist" and post the results. And what are the exact CPU and motherboard models? They're AMD, which is one strike already.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have the latest download USB file from the website. And xfx mother board(about 4 years old) tri core processor, 2 tb hard drive, 4g of ddr 2 ram, and the OS is on a 4g usb

Old system that doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

There *is* a reason why 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM, for starters.
Random desktop hardware is also known to be problematic - especially AMD (which is your case, since Intel never sold tri-core processors for desktop).

Status
Not open for further replies.