Gutting a Dell Poweredge R710

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler
Hi all,

I've been offered a very cheap R710, dual Xenon E5620s + 96Gb Ram (space heater) model with 8x2.5" drive bays
Looking at turning it into a FreeNAS server, I don't pay for power (bonus), but it has to run in my bedroom so noise is an issue.

The plan, gut the server into an EATX tower case (CoolerMaster Stacker STC-01) with decent fans, change the PSU and add an HBA and 3.5" drives.

Does anyone know the R710's MB and if it has standard PSU connections?

NickF

Guru
Two R710 questions today....

So I have one... It is also in my bedroom. While I can most definitely hear it, it is not a loud whining obnoxious sound like you might imagine. Granted I have L5640s which are low TDP chips, even on these 90 degree days we have been having in CT (I did not have air conditioning installed yet until recently) it has been fairly quiet. It's actually quiet enough that I can't even hear it over my fan that's on my nightstand... Now that the AC is on I really can't hear it.
It's just background noise. That is unless it's broken in some way where the fans are spinning at Max RPM and it sounds like a vacuum :)
Mine never gets loud unless I open it up, once it knows the chassis is open it CRANKS.

But to answer your question no there are literally no standard connections. I can't imagine you using any of this stuff elsewhere. The PSU literally slides into a connector on the motherboard. Not to mention there are random sensors and shit you would have to reverse engineer to get it to work right.

Besides rackmount is the way to go.

I would either use as is or pass.

My 2 cents.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler
Thanks @NickF

I guess that means I'll pass. In the available config (2.5" bays), I'd have to add a Jbod and external port HBA card.

My hopes were that it would fit in the Tower, and with 12 5.25" bays = lots of drives.

Wish i could find a cheap 24/36 bay 4U here in NZ :(

Status
Not open for further replies.