Guest access in SMB2 disabled in Windows 10

Carlosgrr

Cadet
I have been head bashing against this wall for the past two days and I have somehow managed to find a solution to a problem that I believe should be better documented inside the FreeNAS documentation:

Apparently Microsoft disabled the SMB2 Guest access in Windows 10 and since this is the new intended security behavior in Windows 10 and forward, I believe it is not only me that had / will have this issue, so I urge the forum administrators to pin this post and the developers to update the FreeNAS 11.2 documentation (item 11.4.1) to include the solution and more clearly state that the "Unauthenticated Access" is disabled by default in Windows 10.

Solution:

Edit Group Policy:
Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
"Enable insecure guest logons"

Source:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk...bled-by-default-in-windows-10-and-windows-ser

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

For the Guide update, please create a report at bugs.freenas.org that contains the pertinent details (eg which section to update, which text no longer applies, the URL to the KB article, etc.).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I opened a PR in freenas-docs to update the docs about Windows disabling SMB2 guest access. Thanks!
I have mostly fixed this problem in the next release. Former setting by default was "map to guest = bad user". Unfortunately, this setting sets a guest session flag during initial SMB tree connect, and Windows 10, Server 2019 can end up failing to establish a session. The only breadcrumbs are in Event Viewer. When changed to "map to guest = Never", then instead of silently dropping the connection, the Windows client prompts for a password. New behavior is as follows:
If there are no shares with "allow guest access" checked:
map to guest = Never
else
map to guest = bad user