Great Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmfisher4

Explorer
Just thought I'd share...
I am about 2 months into a successful Xeon-based/Supermicro X9 FreeNAS build. I am using it mainly for file integrity (lots of family pictures) and media serving. I was able to install the Plex plugin with no problems (and no real independent thought on my part, which was even better) and was streaming it via DLNA to my XBox 360 (which is hard-wired, not wireless, on my network). Wasn't real happy with the performance. Suffered audio/video timing separations (like several seconds; very annoying) and poor image resolution (blocky). Wasn't sure if it was the XBox or the server, but I didn't experience those problems when streaming via the Plex web appliance to my laptop (which is wireless), so I was pretty sure it was the XBox.
So, I decided to get a Chromecast and subscribe to one month of PlexPass so that I could try out the "casting" ability. Holy crap! What a great setup! I have been searching for YEARS (and spending lots of money) on the best "HTPC" solution starting in 2004 with a Windows XP Media Server Edition-dedicated PC, through Windows Home Server, to a "normal" windows PC connected to the TV, to Amahi to a Roku-like device, etc. Well, thanks to FreeNAS and the great Plex plugin and a $35 Chromecast, I have found nirvana.
Anyway, for those who may be looking for a similar solution, I can say this has been my best combination after trying LOTS!

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.