GPU Passthrough to Docker/VMs

tsaG

Dabbler
Hi,

I am quite new at this topic (coming from a Synology NAS). I would like to run several Dockers and VMs on Server (currently assembled the hardware and downloading Trueness Scale). By browsing through, I read that you need more than 1 GPU to use the Passthrough, is this correct?

I plan to use Jellyfin and BlueIris which heavily relies on the Quicksync feature of the Intel GPU. I do not want to use an additional GPU as unnecessarily it increases Power draw and I do not have any spare PCI-E Slots (NIC and SAS controller).

Is it correct that this would not be possible in the current TrueNas version and configuration of my server?

Thanks!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi,

I am quite new at this topic (coming from a Synology NAS). I would like to run several Dockers and VMs on Server (currently assembled the hardware and downloading Trueness Scale). By browsing through, I read that you need more than 1 GPU to use the Passthrough, is this correct?

I plan to use Jellyfin and BlueIris which heavily relies on the Quicksync feature of the Intel GPU. I do not want to use an additional GPU as unnecessarily it increases Power draw and I do not have any spare PCI-E Slots (NIC and SAS controller).

Is it correct that this would not be possible in the current TrueNas version and configuration of my server?

Thanks!

Yes, quicksync can be supported.

My guess is its easier to share the GPU if all apps are containers.. not mixed VMs and container. Other users may have experience with this.

tsaG

Dabbler
But then I have to pass through the GPU, correct? And as I understood, for this you would need a second GPU (?).

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
My understanding is that its working with upto 5 apps.

stavros-k

Patron
Yes, quicksync can be used by 5 apps at the same time. Nvidia on the other hand only on 1. (Upstream limitation from nvidia-device-plugin).

But, BlueIris is a windows app, and there isn't any (good) container for it. (If there is any please let me know, I need it lol).

With nvidia, you can't use it with apps AND vms at the same time. And any change between those two, will probably require a reboot.
I have no idea if this is the case with quicksync as well.