Going for first FreeNAS build on a HPE ProLiant Gen8 G1610T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly-051

Dabbler
After reading through the recommended hardware guide I was trying to put together a new build for my Hyper-V lab. I came up with a couple of builds but then deicide to have a look at one of the HPE Gen8 servers that a few people I know have recommended before.

I’m going to be using FreeNAS to provide SMB3 storage to SCVMM and the Hyper-V hosts, which currently run on two Dell R410 servers.

I’m specifically looking at the HPE ProLiant Gen8 G1610T server with 4GB RAM at less than £200. As previously I had exceeded this amount when trying to put my own together.

I’ve also seen a couple of posts on here where people have ran these with FreeNAS and had no issues so think I’ll give this one a go for my first build.

Things I’m going to do:
  • Add-in another 4GB of ECC RAM.
  • Add-in approx 2-4 TB of SAS disks.
http://www.ebuyer.com/722189-hpe-proliant-gen8-4gb-ram-microserver-ebuyer-com-819185-421

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I’m going to be using FreeNAS to provide SMB3 storage to SCVMM and the Hyper-V hosts
I'm not any kind of expert on this but presenting storage over SMB to VM hosts seems like it would be a performance nightmare.

Ugly-051

Dabbler
I'm not any kind of expert on this but presenting storage over SMB to VM hosts seems like it would be a performance nightmare.

SMB is the recommended soltuion for Hyper-v, it also supports ISCSI as does FreeNAS so there are other options I could use if need be.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Curious to see how this turns out. Make sure you report back once you've got things up and running.

snaptec

Guru
The gen8 with additional ram works flawlessly.
As said in another thread, have some of them running at customers without problems (except for one eating USB boot sticks)

But I don't know if it's powerful enough to provide enough performance for vm hosts.
Just use them as file storage.
You can get 2 mirrored vdevs.
So you are very limited what you can get on iops.
How many/ what kind of vms are you running?

Think about maxing the ram to 16gb. Will definitely help.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ugly-051

Dabbler
The gen8 with additional ram works flawlessly.
As said in another thread, have some of them running at customers without problems (except for one eating USB boot sticks)

But I don't know if it's powerful enough to provide enough performance for vm hosts.
Just use them as file storage.
You can get 2 mirrored vdevs.
So you are very limited what you can get on iops.
How many/ what kind of vms are you running?

Think about maxing the ram to 16gb. Will definitely help.

Hi, I’m a little unsure on the IOPS at the moment, although it’s just for a small amount of VMs running on two Hyper-V hosts for home lab purposes, so no need for high end performance really.

I'll be buying a 1TB WD Red first then adding in another and use the RAID functions as well as the RAM.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'll be buying a 1TB WD Red first then adding in another and use the RAID functions as well as the RAM.
You might want to read up on how FreeNAS/ZFS works. You can't just "add in another" to a vdev once it's created.

snaptec

Guru
You can start with 2 drives in a mirror.
When you need more performance or space add another 2 drives.

You could start with one disk and at the mirror disk later. Though I would not recommend that.

vibratingKWAX

Dabbler
I came up with a couple of builds but then deicide to have a look at one of the HPE Gen8 servers that a few people I know have recommended before.
I currently have the Gen8 running for testing FN10. It surely is a very good value!
If performance is unsatisfactory you also have a fifth SATA2-connector usually reserved for ODD but also usable for a 2,5'' SSD. You could also add a more high performance SSD solution to the empty 16x pcie-slot.

If the data of your VMs are not that critical, you could set up a second pool on the SSD and replicate to the safer HDD-pool. Or you could make use of L2ARC or a SLOG... but you should read up on those thoroughly! Also opinions on this differ in the community.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ugly-051

Dabbler
You can start with 2 drives in a mirror.
When you need more performance or space add another 2 drives.

You could start with one disk and at the mirror disk later. Though I would not recommend that.

Thanks for now I'm still thinking about the need for RAID since it's only a lab and I can back the data up with third-party replication but it'll be a good idea when adding multiple disks.

I currently have the Gen8 running for testing FN10. It surely is a very good value!
If performance is unsatisfactory you also have a fifth SATA2-connector usually reserved for ODD but also usable for a 2,5'' SSD. You could also add a more high performance SSD solution to the empty 16x pcie-slot.

If the data of your VMs are not that critical, you could set up a second pool on the SSD and replicate to the safer HDD-pool. Or you could make use of L2ARC or a SLOG... but you should read up on those thoroughly! Also opinions on this differ in the community.

Cheers, I'll keep a note of that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ugly-051

Dabbler

Hi, are you running Hyper-V with this setup?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.