Getting started with 2 node HA-system

dikkiedik

Cadet
Hello.

I have taken over 2 SAN devices from a bankruptcy with 2x 480GB SSD and 8x 1TB SSD each. Now I would like to run a ZFS pool on it with the 8x 1TB in Z-raid and a write log on the 2x 480GB in mirror. I would like to have that all mirrored on the 2nd device in an MPIO iSCSI solution.

Those are quite a few wishes, but if I read it correctly, TrueNAS Scale can help me with this. At this link: https://www.truenas.com/blog/truenas-scale-clustering/ At the Layouts I see the 2nd option, HA system. I think that would meet my needs. How do I set this up? I have already installed the systems but I can't quite figure out how to proceed.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

dikkiedik

Cadet

However, note that Scale clustering is currently experimental, and isn't recommended for production workloads.
That doesn't get me any further for the desired 2 node solution. This will create a cluster with a minimum of 3 nodes.

To set up clustering with TrueNAS SCALE, you need:
  • 3-20 TrueNAS SCALE systems (version 22.02.2 or later) on the same network. Each SCALE system must have

dikkiedik

Cadet
TrueNAS_SCALE_Layout_options.png

the 2 option seems to suit my needs

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That doesn't get me any further for the desired 2 node solution.
Nothing will, short of buying it from iX. You'll notice that is says Controller 1 and Controller 2 - those are two custom servers attached to the same pool.
Unfortunately, Gluster is a complete no-go with just two servers. It doesn't just suck, it is outright dangerous. I've examined this at $WORK with a colleague and we concluded that there's just no reasonable way around it. You can sort-of cheat with an arbiter and use a smaller server, but the experience is dodgy, does not scale beyond two servers (plus the arbiter) and does not allow for writes to continue (for some mysterious reason).

Right now, there aren't many options for you, which absolutely sucks. I too would like a more robust solution for scale-out, but Gluster with three-way mirrors is what's available and working.

dikkiedik

Cadet
Nothing will, short of buying it from iX. You'll notice that is says Controller 1 and Controller 2 - those are two custom servers attached to the same pool.
Unfortunately, Gluster is a complete no-go with just two servers. It doesn't just suck, it is outright dangerous. I've examined this at $WORK with a colleague and we concluded that there's just no reasonable way around it. You can sort-of cheat with an arbiter and use a smaller server, but the experience is dodgy, does not scale beyond two servers (plus the arbiter) and does not allow for writes to continue (for some mysterious reason).

Right now, there aren't many options for you, which absolutely sucks. I too would like a more robust solution for scale-out, but Gluster with three-way mirrors is what's available and working.
That's plain language! I now know that this is certainly not going to be a solution. Thanks!