Getting operation not permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DhavalKhairnar

Dabbler
I have set windows as a permission recursively for /mnt/storage/volume in permission type and windows in share type. But I am not able to access volume through smb service. After that I set both permission to Unix but now it is showing "operation not permitted". kindly help.

D

dlavigne

Correct, it won't let you go from Windows to Unix permissions as that will clobber the Windows ACLs.

You will need to provide more information to figure out the permissions problem. What is the build version of FreeNAS (from System -> Information)? What is the operating system version of the client that is trying to connect? Which username/group did you set for permissions? And what exact errors did you get on the Windows client when you tried to connect?

DhavalKhairnar

Dabbler
Version: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U2 (e1497f2)
I am trying to connect from Ubuntu 16.04
Username: root and group: wheel
Error: Mar 29 19:35:20 freenas notifier: chmod: /mnt/storage1/folder: Operation not permitted.

I have tried by doing ssh to freenas and than I run chmod but same error came.
I tried with setfacl but didn't work.

D

dlavigne

Error: Mar 29 19:35:20 freenas notifier: chmod: /mnt/storage1/folder: Operation not permitted.

Again, correct as it isn't going to let you clobber the ACLs with a Unix permissions command.

Do you have a Windows client in the network? If so, using it would be an easier way to fine-tune the permissions. Otherwise, you'll have to fight with setfacl until you can get it to do what you want it to do.

DhavalKhairnar

Dabbler
I have tried with setfacl command but I was not able to do it successfully. May be I was wrong in script typing. I have one windows client. Can you pls guide me how to do step by step with windows client? though ssh or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.