FTP Configuration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jath

Explorer
Hello,

I just finally got FTP setup and was able to get it working, but I have a question that I can't seem to find. One FTP service I use has it setup for that you can download 2 files at once, and still browse at the same time, so 3 connections.

However, I noticed with this, if you have it set for 2 connections, 2 files downloading.

Is there any way to make it so that there is a 3rd connection, but limit that to viewing the directory? I didn't see a configuration for it.

Thank you.

Yatti420

Wizard

Jath

Explorer
I want connection limiting, but I also want to limit a certain amount to file sharing. For example, I have 3 connections available for FTP. I want 2 dedicated to file download or upload, and the last one dedicated to being able to browse. Know what I mean?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Does ProFTP support that feature? You might want to check the documentation because I believe the answer is "no".

Yatti420

Wizard
Isn't this how it works? I know I can specify how many download I want on client side aswell.. Of course limited by the server..

joeschmuck

Old Man
What, read documentation, why when I could just ask the question and have it handed to me.

Yea, I'm feeling bitchy today.

At the OP, read the documentation that people invested a lot of time into. The software probably doesn't support what you are asking. If you do want that kind of service, see if there are any FreeBSD FTP programs which support those features and you might be able to install it into a jail.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Isn't this how it works? I know I can specify how many download I want on client side aswell.. Of course limited by the server..

You can limit the total number of connections, but you can't limit what those connections do AFAIK.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Wait, is the OP asking, there are *TWO* types of FTP socket that open, one is the control socket type, and then up to N file transfer sockets. These all open on their own ports etc., so what he appears to be asking, is can he designate N control sockets and M file transfer sockets? If I'm not mistaken.

I've never heard of an FTP server that allowed you to designate you wanted so many of one and so many of the other. Merely, you can specify how many simultaneous downloads each client is permitted, and the total number of open sockets on the server. At least if I'm not mistaken, and if I understand the OP.

Jath

Explorer
Wait, is the OP asking, there are *TWO* types of FTP socket that open, one is the control socket type, and then up to N file transfer sockets. These all open on their own ports etc., so what he appears to be asking, is can he designate N control sockets and M file transfer sockets? If I'm not mistaken.

I've never heard of an FTP server that allowed you to designate you wanted so many of one and so many of the other. Merely, you can specify how many simultaneous downloads each client is permitted, and the total number of open sockets on the server. At least if I'm not mistaken, and if I understand the OP.

Got caught up doing things lately so I haven't been able to respond, but this is what I mean. As per Joe, I read the documentation way before I decided to ask, as I'm not oblivious to other people's hard work. I was asking something I haven't found an answer to already.

An anime FTP, national-anime.org, allows me to do this. Basically, 3 connections (AFAIK). 2 of which I can download files, and 1 where I can browse the files. If I set the amount of connections I have currently (2), I can download/upload 2 files at once, and then it screws everything else. I can't browse internet. I can't browse the FTP server. And the extra files in queue fail. All until the two files finish.

So basically, if I limit it to 2 connections, it's done. I can't do anything until one of those connections is freed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.