From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

Rand0mUser

Dabbler
Thanks, I just did it, but only one of 3 jails upgraded to 12.2-RELEASE. For FAMP and Plex, it stays at 12.1:

Code:
Branch 12.2-RELEASE does not exist at https://github.com/freenas/iocage-plugin-plexmediaserver.git!
Using "master" branch for plugin, this may not work with your RELEASE

Maybe it's because these jails are plugins. Anyway as long as it's running fine, and I can update Plex it's OK for me.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

rostrum81

Cadet
Updated from 11.3-U5 to 12.0. Before upgrade I shut down manually created jails (plex, transmission) and one VM, cleaned up snapshots and made a new one for reference. I also exported jails just in case. Upgrade went smoothly and fast. Jails and VM start running normally. UI feels much more responsive and fast!

What I did notice is I couldn't reach SMB shares for some reason. After some research on forum, I found out I need to enable NetBIOS-NS in Network / Global configuration. This helped a little, but still couldn't access any share. After some more research I notice you cannot access share as a root user by default, which I was using most of the time. I quickly updated ACL permissions for my users and everything start working normally as expected.

A follow-up on my previous post: While everything seemed to go well, the bridges/VLANs for jails (plugins)I had created under FreeNAS 11.3-U5 no longer appear to work correctly under TrueNAS Core 12.0-RELEASE. It appears to be a gateway issue (e.g., the jail can ping other nodes on the subnet even outside of the TrueNAS server, host lookups, etc. will not work even if the external DNS can be pinged). I'm working on rebuilding the network and jails to see if this makes a difference.

Yangorang

Cadet
I tried updating my Ubiquiti jail .. and it failed I forget how far into it .. :confused:
Any luck later on with the UniFi/Ubiquiti jail on TrueNAS 12? It looks like the UniFi pkg version was updated to v6 last week so not sure if that fixes anything.

So far everything else in my TrueNAS Core 12 upgrade seems to have gone well, but I've held off on upgrading the pool and the Ubiquiti jail for now. Emby, Sonarr, Radarr jails seem to have upgraded without any issues.

hescominsoon

Patron
I actually fired up an ubuntu linux VM(not a jail) and then installed unifi on it..flawless.

DAVe3283

Cadet
Upgraded from 11.3-U5 to 12.0 today. Ran into an issue with iSCSI secrets getting corrupted during the upgrade. After upgrading, my iSCSI shares were failing authentication. Looking at every credential under Sharing / iSCSI / Authorized Access, the secret was corrupted. For example, it had "jVMLXh+vltXD88PycYt/8vxtCPkgGPQ29cpmTfCXl6qCMZbatxzptw==" after the upgrade to 12.0, instead of "79w;!Yd;C##W?/Wu" (don't worry, I have changed the password).

I am also running into a problem with the Monitoring graphs not showing up. The data seems to be there, because the legend shows data, and as I scroll the invisible graph the data in the legend changes. I tried Chrome 87 and Waterfox, both have the same behavior of no graphs and a barf of errors in the console when browsing to the Monitoring page.

Once I reset the iSCSI credentials everything seems to be working correctly so far, besides the monitoring graphs.

hescominsoon

Patron
the reports not working is a known issue and IIRC it should be corrected in the next TNC update.

EricSten

Cadet
Has anybody experienced that it takes an EXTREMELY long time to upgrade a jail from 11.3 to 12.2 in TrueNAS 12? I'm talking hours to upgrade. I'm upgrading my fourth jail now and it just appears to sit and do nothing for the longest time. In one of them its been sitting at this point for 2 hours....

Fetching metadata signature for 12.2-RELEASE from update1.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Fetching files from 11.3-RELEASE for merging... done.
Preparing to download files...

And at this point....
To install the downloaded upgrades, run "/tmp/tmp65f2ivql install".
Installing updates...
Kernel updates have been installed. Please reboot and run
"/tmp/tmp65f2ivql install" again to finish installing updates.
Installing updates...

install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/libc++experimental/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/libomp/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/ofed/complib/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/ofed/include/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/ofed/libcxgb4/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/ofed/libibcm/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory
install: /mnt/Data/iocage/jails/Guacamole-Upgrade/root//usr/src/lib/ofed/libibmad/Makefile.depend: No such file or directory

I will get a ton of these No such file or directory messages.

CPU on the box isn't maxed out, it just seems to sit there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Eric Sten

hescominsoon

Patron
what are your boot drives? if you are using USB as your boot drives..it is going to take forever....

adrianwi

Guru
what are your boot drives? if you are using USB as your boot drives..it is going to take forever....

Why does it access the boot drives to update jails stored on a pool?

I still haven't found my 'big-boy-pants' yet although might find some over Christmas where I have more time to deal with any issues that might arise. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, but such a big upgrade is always difficult when I've got everything running so well on 11.3-U5.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Most of the time a long duration for iocage upgrade is due to a source tree being present in /usr/src in the jail. In most cases you can safely delete that directory before the upgrade.

Unless you want to use that jail to compile network card drivers ... :wink:

EricSten

Cadet
Why does it access the boot drives to update jails stored on a pool?

I still haven't found my 'big-boy-pants' yet although might find some over Christmas where I have more time to deal with any issues that might arise. I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing, but such a big upgrade is always difficult when I've got everything running so well on 11.3-U5.
That is what I was wondering. :smile:

EricSten

Cadet
Most of the time a long duration for iocage upgrade is due to a source tree being present in /usr/src in the jail. In most cases you can safely delete that directory before the upgrade.

Unless you want to use that jail to compile network card drivers ... :wink:
That is where it seems to get stuck, in the /usr/src structure. I will do that and try another upgrade. Thanks!

NasKar

Guru
I was thinking of writing a script to automate the upgrade process due to the amount of time it takes.
Are these recommended step to upgrade from 11.3 to truenas core 12.2 jails
iocage fetch and pick release 12.2
iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE <jail_name>
iocage exec <jail_name> "pkg-static upgrade -f -y
iocage restart <jail_name>

iposner

Explorer
Upgraded from Freenas to Truenas.

Then ran iocage fetch and selected 12.0-RELEASE.

After it installed, I read the end-of-life warning and immediately ran iocage fetch with the 12.2-RELEASE

This completed normally.

However then tried ran:

iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE plex

and got a FileNotFoundError looking for the file plex.json

(I would copy the whole console output but the copy-and-paste facility doesn't work correctly)

Any ideas?

twk95

Dabbler
Upgraded from Freenas to Truenas.

Then ran iocage fetch and selected 12.0-RELEASE.

After it installed, I read the end-of-life warning and immediately ran iocage fetch with the 12.2-RELEASE

This completed normally.

However then tried ran:

iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE plex

and got a FileNotFoundError looking for the file plex.json

(I would copy the whole console output but the copy-and-paste facility doesn't work correctly)

Any ideas?

Try this. Have to rename your jails and that .json file

MaxxRK

Cadet
I am trying to upgrade a jail from 11.2 to 12.1, and I am stuck here. How do I get it to continue?

"The following files will be removed as part of updating to 12.1-RELEASE-pll:"

Then a long list of files with end on the last line. I am very new to this and do not know what to do to get it to continue. I do not see any errors or anything.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is just a pager showing you a list too long to fit on one screen. Simply hit th Q key to exit it.

iposner

Explorer
Try this. Have to rename your jails and that .json file

Thanks - but after posting I tried this. Didn't work. It was such a mess afterwards that I deleted the jail and recreated the jail and plex from scratch.